Friday, September 17, 2010

17 Sept. 2010

I had the psychological evaluation yesterday that is required in my application for disability.

It must be admitted that I was a bit apprehensive in the days leading up to the eval. I was concerned that the psychologist would try and get me to contradict my words in a effort to find cause for denying disability. So, I contacted a brother in-law who is a director (?) of the Central Florida University School of Neurology. He inquired with associates in the psychology dept about an evaluation such as I was going to have.

I was assured that the evaluation was only to measure my psychological fitness for the upcoming dialysis and eventual transplantation (and the ensuing, very strict Rx regimen). The State just wants to be sure I'm not a drug addict, alcoholic, extremely depressed, etc. After all, disability is not just about financial aid--it's also about the extensive payout for medicare costs for the fistula implant, dialysis costs, transplantation surgery and care, and for (up to) three years of anti-rejection meds (avg cost, $18K+/year).

Anyway, the psychologist I met with put me at complete ease immediately. We had a really nice conversation/ evaluation. I received immediate feedback about how I'm doing mentally with everything. She told me that I wasn't depressed; that I am handling everything I'm going through extremely well; that I have "A good energy about me"; and that she is quite confident in my ability to handle everything that is coming up.

It was a very positive experience! I walked out of there relaxed, and confident that everything will fall into place. What a relief!!! (Now, as to whether or not I get disability, I will find out in a few weeks, or so.)

So, good news in my ongoing efforts to receive the aid that I currently find myself in need of.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment