Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pre-Transplant Work-up: Neurological Exam

Today I had my Pre-Transplant Neuro exam that focused on my headaches more than anything else.
The physician (neurologist) took a very thorough history (Hx), and asked about comparing this long headache to the TMD headaches. He did a brief neuro exam, then stated that he wants me to undergo a cranial MRI with vessel emphasis.

He stated that many times, renal pts (patients) have a neurochemical block that happens because the kidneys are no longer regulating certain chemicals and neurotransmitters are unable to function properly. The goal of his treatment will be to identify the neurochemicals being affected and then seek a phamacological solution until I get a transplant.

So, I am scheduled for the MRI happening this coming Friday morning at 900a. Plus, the doc prescribed a med (I don't remember what it is) that I will start to take next week. He also gave me a couple of samples of non-narcotic pain relievers that should more effectively reduce the headache. We'll see.
I am always wary of new meds because, if there are untoward side effects, I almost always have them. It is not a fun process discovering which meds my body will tolerate.

I have a followup appointment with the neurologist in a month.

That's all I've got. No obvious issues that might inhibit my candidacy for transplantation.  The MRI will show us more, but unless I hear back from the doc earlier than next month, I won't worry about this one at all.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment