Monday, December 27, 2010

27 Dec. 2010

More.

That completely sums up the last six days. More edema, more exhaustion, more nausea, more mid-back pain...more.

Sleep has been terrible; to put it mildly. The last five or so days I sleep an average of about five hours; yet only get about three quality hours of rest. The other two hours are filled with restlessness and discomfort. Then yesterday was a doozie. I fell asleep Christmas night at about 9p, and slept until about 4a (again, restlessly). After waking (or I was awoken because of it), I became intensely nauseated and my head was killing me.

I first downed a T3 for my head, then once that had taken the headache down from a 9.5 to a 9, I addressed the nausea. I tried two Tums first, then had to turn to the Promethazine. Within 20 minutes the nausea was gone, and I began feeling sleepy--a side effect of the anti-emetic. By 6a I was asleep, and stayed there until 9a. Once awake, I groggily got through another hour before sleeping again for another three hours. After that, I was still extremely groggy and managed to stay awake for about two hours before again drifting off for almost an two more hours. This pattern repeated itself until I finally went to bed at 8p. Once there, I restlessly slept until 5a today. (Ick!) As of now, I'm not currently sleepy--I think the Promethazine finally wore off. Nothing like evidence of poor kidney filtration. I took just a half dose of the anti-emetic, and its effects lasted twenty four hours.

The edema continues to be quite evident. Both my hands and legs look about the same as last week. I weighed myself last week and I had gained six pounds (256 ttl). I'm not eating any more than is now normal; but with the increased edema so evident, I have no doubt that the weight gain is only water retention.

The headache is ever present and always painful. T3's are barely keeping it in check.

The mid-back pain that began to be evidenced last week continues. I am uncomfortable when laying or sitting. A pillow behind my back helps, but certainly doesn't alleviate the pain and discomfort. Still no additional S/S's related to this increase. I'm still watching for them though.

Since the onset of increased back pain, the ammonia smell has intensified. Plus, I'm not just smelling ammonia right now. Even after brushing my teeth I am noticing a nasty smell when I burp or breathe out quickly. I don't know how else to describe it. This is definitely new. Plus the fact that brushing or even mints don't lessen the odor. So far no one else can smell it...yet.

Appetite fatigue has begun to be an issue. Less and less foods are appealing. I hate not being able to choose what to eat from a cabinet full of food. More and more I am looking in the cabinets or refrigerator and just staring into either, and turning away more often than not. Even my snack foods aren't looking so good these days. But, I will still eat in spite of nothing looking appealing. Food is food; even if it's not appetizing.

That's about all I remember wanting to pass on to you today.

I hope everyone's Christmas was wonderful and fun!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment