Tuesday, December 8, 2009

08 Dec. 09

Had the second of my three baseline establishing nephrologist appointments today.

The good news first:

-I'm now (officially) on just two meds...Atenolol and Gemfibrozil. The only difference is that I'm upping the dosage of Atenolol an extra 50 mg's/day to 150 mg's. I am to take the dosage I have already been on in the morning, plus the extra 50 mg dose twelve hours later. The idea is that some patients metabolize Atenolol faster than other patients. My doctor wants to see if taking a half dose at night will steady my BP to a constant number twenty four hours a day.

-I am only showing a few S/S's (signs & symptoms) of the PCKD.

-Most of my bloodwork came back normal. So, most of my body is operating within normal parameters.

-Officially, I lost seven pounds over the past four weeks.


And now, the bad news:

-I have become anemic. My latest hematacrit was 35%. Normal is +45%....

-and...My Red Blood Cells (RBC's) while healthy, are fewer in number than they should be. This means that my body is not producing RBC's in sufficient numbers.

-My Lipids were high. I believe this means that the kidney's are not able to filter as well as they should.

-Creatinine level is elevated higher than previously.

-BUN is 40 mg's. (High end is 15 mg's). On my last visit the BUN was around 32.

-All of which leads to a 2% decrease in kidney function. Both kidney's are now operating at just 24%. That's a two percent drop in a month. No so good.

My being cold, having continuous headaches, and lack of appetite all are definitely S/S's of the disease.

So, one more month for the last baseline numbers, then we get to discuss time frames, options, etc. I'll hope that the disease slows this month. I've still got too much to do...

And, on we go. A bit of tough news today, but certainly no reason for discouragement. Christmas is almost here, I start the new semester in a month, I've got a new grandson,...too much yet to do.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment