Monday, September 9, 2013

08 September 2013

I have labs to report, weights to relay, and general update info to give. So, let's get at it...

Dialysis Weights:

31 Aug 13
Starting Weight:  106.7 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.3 Kg
Water Removed:  2.40 Kg

03 Sep 13
Starting Weight:  107.3 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.1 Kg
Water Removed:  3.20 Kg

05 Sep 13
Starting Weight:  106.1 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.2 Kg
Water Removed:  1.90 Kg

07 Sep 13
Starting Weight:  106.5 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.0 Kg
Water Removed:  2.50 Kg

Once again, my weights remain fairly consistent. My renewed efforts to limit my fluids have been paying off. Time to really start getting disciplined because in less than two months, I'll be on a super restrictive liquid intake due to having no kidneys!

Earlier, I mentioned that the main September labs are available. Here are the results:


*Albumin (20 Aug):  4.60 g/dL (No Change from 16 Jul)
  (A measure of Protein in the blood)     NR (Normal Range) 4.0 g/dL or Higher

*Hemoglobin (03 Sep):  11.1 g/dL  (-0.30 g/dL from 20 Aug)
  (A Measure of Anemia)

*Ca Corrected (03 Sep): 9.30 mg/dL (-0.20 mg/dL from 06 Aug)
  (A measure of Heart and Bone health)     NR 8.40 to 10.20 mg/dL

*Phosphorous (03 Sep):  4.50 mg/dL (+ 0.2 mg/dL from 06 Aug)
  (High Phosphorous affects the health of your Heart and Bones)     NR 3.0 to 5.5 mg/dL

*PTH Intact (20 Aug):  175 pg/mL  (+49 pg/mL from 16 Jul)
  (A measure of Vitamin D absorption and bone and tissue health)     NR 150 to 600 pg/mL

*K+ (20 Aug):  4.2 mEq/L (-0.10 mEq/L from 16 Jul)
  (Proper potassium levels keep your nerves and muscles working well)     NR 3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L

*spKdt/V Dialysis (03 Sep): 1.51   (-0.05 from 08 Aug)
  (A measure of the effectiveness of dialysis and blood filtering.)     NR 1.20 or Higher
So, the labs continue to look great! No worries here, at all.
Not much else to say, either. :)

The energy drain I've been feeling has kept its pace. I feel far more tired today than last week; and it's not like I'm going out a playing, or anything! This is just one more aspect that I know is going to happen; which means that it is another thing I have to keep in perspective, and keep my mind in a good place about. As I get more and more exhausted, finding the energy to do this is getting more and more difficult; but one which is vital that I perform day after day!

The headache has seemingly increased again. Today, the headache just exploded on me, and I have been miserable. I'll use my TMD devices tonight just to rule out any TMD involvement; but with no jaw pain, no excessive clicking in the joint, etc, the likelihood of TMD complications is minimal.

My sleep has been up to its usual unpredictability. In spite of my physical exhaustion, I am sleeping poorly, at best. I am waking often, am terribly uncomfortable [because of my enlarged kidneys], and I am napping for longer now. On my dialysis days, I have recently been averaging 15-19 hours of sleep over a 32 hour period, and a total of about 10-13 hours on my one completely off-day. Even though I really don't like sleeping so long, I've finally stopped getting frustrated about it. It is what it is; and as soon as all of this is over, I'll be exercising again, sleeping better, sleeping a LOT less, and I'll be well on my way to a healthier, happier future!

No other things to report on. Pretty much everything else is status quo...at least, for now!

I DO want to talk about something that I've been mulling over the past week or so. I recently had a discussion with a friend who remarked that they found it amazing that I'm able to keep my mind out of depression, in spite of everything I'm going through. I went on to explain that one of the things I do every day is to focus on a positive, healthy future. Sure, the negative aspects are always present; always ready to send me spiraling into despair. However, by keeping my thoughts focused on a positive outcome, the negative aspects rarely enter my conscious thoughts.
I have always been a realist in the way I think. When this whole kidney thing exploded into my life, I chose to concentrate on the end-game by educating myself so that I knew and understood the steps involved, thus eliminating surprises that might potentially negatively impact my state of mind. The more you know, the easier this is from the mental side of things.
Education also ensures your ability to do and go through what you must in order to get to the post-transplant life of health and forward movement that awaits you when all is said and done. So, I plan for my future; I envision the challenges and successes that await.
I clearly see my path ahead, am realistic about how long it will take to get back to physical conditioning, and continue to let those thoughts guide me day to day. By focusing on the positive, I don't have time for the negative.
For instance, my next step is the dental work. I know what's involved, what to expect, etc. I also know that once it is all done, I will contact the surgeon for a consult to get my kidney's out. I'll then get them out, heal for four to six weeks, then be placed on the active transplant list. And it goes on from there. The plan is always in place; though the timeline is fluid. This process helps me stay positive and focused on my future. It isn't hard to do; but it does take discipline for this type of thinking and approach to become habit. Anyone can do this, though!

Anyhow, that's all I wanted to talk about today. Have a great week! As always, if new info comes my way, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment