Wednesday, September 25, 2013

25 September 2013

Just a quick note today...

During Tx (treatment) yesterday, I had a problem develop with my dialyzer (the filter).
A small crack in the housing--whether it was there from the manufacturing process, or from mishandling, no one knows--caused a blood leak into the top and bottom caps of the dialyzer, and even some than ran down the outside of the housing.

This was initially discovered by an alarm repeatedly going off on my machine. I had a fairly new tech, and she had never before seen this; so, she had no idea there was an issue until my blood was actually leaking out of the dialyzer.

Anyhow, I was told that when this happens there are three things than can be done.

1) If the Tx is far enough along, the session can be finished early and the patient goes through the whole end of Tx routine.

2) Switch to a different chair (and dialysis machine) with a new setup, and finish at your regular time.

3)  Stop Tx, and let the tech and a nurse do a new set up, and restart dialysis from where you left off, and subsequently, finish later.

The clinic nurse asked me which I'd prefer. Since I still had over an hour to go, the first option was out.
I didn't mind staying later; but as the clinic was lite on patients, I decided to switch to another chair.
So, while I continued dialyzing, a new set up was prepared, flushed, etc, and when it was ready--about twenty five minutes later--I was quickly switched to the new chair, my things were moved, too, and I was back on active dialysis within about two minutes.

I asked one of the techs about infection risk from the dialyzer issue and he told me that, while rare in occurrence, the cracked dialyzer can lead to infection, but he has not yet seen that happen. I was assured that I would be fine; and you know what? Over a day later, and I haven't shown the least bit of a fever or any other indicator of an infection.

I am extremely grateful for an experienced, dedicated clinic crew that takes such great care of me! They truly are a blessing every day I must dialyze.

So, the risk of a cracked or damaged dialyzer (filter) is extremely rare; but it can happen! If it does, ask what your options are, ask any questions--and keep asking them until you understand the info being given--, and be confident in your decision-making in doing what is absolutely best for YOU!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment