Saturday, August 31, 2013

30 August 2013


Alright, a little more news today; but only after I give you my dialysis weights...

22 Aug 13
Starting Weight:  106.5 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.2 Kg
Water Removed:  2.30 Kg

24 Aug 13
Starting Weight:  106.8 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.1 Kg
Water Removed:  2.70 Kg

27 Aug 13
Starting Weight:  107.1 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.3 Kg
Water Removed:  2.80 Kg

29 Aug 13
Starting Weight:  107.2 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.1 Kg
Water Removed:  3.10 Kg

*Remember, one Kg (kilogram) equals 2.20 pounds. So, like on the last Tx, 3.10 kg equals just over 6.6 pounds, or, approximately 3/4 of a gallon. This is what is being retained in my body in spite of continued urine production.

My top weights continue to be elevated; but this really is no surprise. With as much as my flanks hurt, and my urine output decreasing, my body just can't filter it out. The increasing water retention will only get worse until my kidneys are removed; at which time my fluid intake will be sharply curtailed, and closely monitored.

This past Wednesday I had my dental re-exam. Nothing has changed since last January [when I had the initial exam]. The dentist asked about whether or not I wanted to do work on the one tooth that is hollow, and I stated I just want it pulled because I have some room for my bottom teeth to spread a bit; and besides, I really don't want to go through the pain and multiple procedures to save the root and do a build-up. The doc had no problem with my decision.

So, starting on 11 Sept, I will have work on the R side of my mouth done--a few cavities and the extraction. Then again on the 18th for the L side cavities. And finally, on the 25th for the deep cleaning. I am so glad this is getting done!

After the dental is finished, I'll schedule the surgical consult with my Transplant Team, and we'll get the Nephrectomy scheduled at that point.

Things really are moving along, now!

The nausea is up and down the past week. I only had a Zofran injection at dialysis once--a nice change of pace. However, I have been awoken a couple of times on my off days and had to take Promethazine to get the nausea under control.
Overall, not a bad week for this.

The headache keeps going...
I am trying to do without any pain meds for my headache on my off days. It  isn't a fun proposition, but I just want a break from the yucks of constantly being on T3. The last few off-days I have averaged only two T3's. By the way, the headache is now at 46 months and counting.

I forgot to mention...At the Transplant Team appointment, they ordered up a new test. This was only recently added for male patients over 50...a PSA blood test. This is a Prostate Specific Antigen test that measures the health of the prostate gland. In the lab results, anything  below 4 ng/mL is considered good. Higher numbers might reflect problems with the prostate, and therefore require additional testing. Anyhow, I had this drawn on yesterday's dialysis. I should know the results in a few days.

I've already referred to my bilateral flank pain. It has been quite pronounced this week. Sitting still for four hours of dialysis has been difficult, at best. I stretch my back as well as I can [from a sitting position], and just try to sit so my lower back isn't against the chair. It's quite fatiguing, actually. Then all day today, my flanks have become progressively more painful. I am NOT having fun with my back!

My energy this week has been poor, at best. My sleep is, well...it just is. Ranging from poor to unrestful, I am waking more often than not completely exhausted. The Transplant Team nephrologist stated that the energy drain would only increase until the kidneys are removed. So, I will fully expect my energy to get far worse in the next couple of months.

Speaking of sleep, my typical pre and post-D sleep is at about 17 hours. I still get in a few short naps, too. My one day per week of regular sleep is averaging about ten hours, plus naps. And when I'm awake, I am often yawning, and feeling sleepy. This again goes back to my energy level.

Well, that's all for now. I have to be up in four hours for the last dialysis of the week; so I'll be on my way.

Have a fantastic week, my friends!

Be outstanding in everything you do!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

**At dialysis today (Sat, 31 Aug) I was informed that my PSA results came back and I am at an extremely healthy 2.62 ng/mL!  
The Transplant team will be very pleased with that result!

No comments:

Post a Comment