Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dental Work #1

Well, the first day of dental work is all done.

The work took just over an hour--some of which was spent waiting for Novocain to numb the R side of my mouth. After the Novocain injection attained full strength, the doc started with the filling on my #3 tooth (top R, towards the back). The numbing was so good that I felt only pressure from working on the tooth.

Apparently, the cavity was fairly deep, and the dentist spent a fair amount of time drilling out the tooth. Once that was done, it took little time to fill in with whatever the substance was--I forgot to ask what was used. He also checked for proper teeth alignment before moving on to the extraction.

I was injected with more Novocain after feeling discomfort when the doc started examining the area of #29 (bottom R, towards the front). After just a minute, he was able to start going again. My dentist was so good that, aside from the downward pressure on the jaw, I literally felt nothing during the extraction. I only mention the pressure because of my TMD. Any excessive forces on my jaw cause horrific headaches--something like a nasty, all-out migraine. (Remember, I had uncontrolled TMD headaches for fifteen years, so I know exactly how bad those headaches can get!)

Anyhow, during the extraction, the procedure went from a 'simply extraction' to a 'surgical extraction' due to the tooth shattering (it was hollow, after all; so not unexpected). So, instead of a simple yanking out of the tooth, the doc had to drill into the bone to get the root, had to get into the gum a little, and do everything involved. In the end, the entire tooth is out, I did not need any stitches, and the bleeding, I'm told, was actually fairly minimal. When done, the doc packed gauze in the site, gave me verbal and written instructions for after-care, and gave me a Rx for the added pain I would experience after the Novocain wore off. Like a good pre-transplant patient, I inquired about meds that might be metabolized in the kidneys. (*Remember, I have to avoid meds that are metabolized in the kidneys as they would cause further severe damage to them.)  The doc thought about that and made his Rx accordingly.

On my way out, the dental assistant reiterated the instructions for after-care and then checked on the time of my next scheduled visit--one week from today, 15 Sept. The instructions for after care are below...

So, all afternoon and evening I have been changing the gauze, rinsing my mouth, and taking meds. What a fun time!  But, by taking care of things properly now, I should be able to get back to my normal routines by Friday morning, or so.
 
My sleep tonight should be interesting. I don't usually take any meds the night before dialysis simply because I end up having a difficult time waking up in time to get the Lidocane cream on my arm an hour before I get poked. But, if I don't take the meds, I'm going to be miserable because of today's extraction. Ah well...I'll do what must be done and just deal with the outcome in the morning.
 
Anyhow, that was my first of three dental appointments.  I sure am glad I have a great dentist! This could have been so much worse!  :'(
 
I will keep you updated with any complications, should they arise. Otherwise, my next dental report will be after next Wednesday's cavity-fixing marathon!
 
Good Health to All!
 
ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment