Friday, September 20, 2013

Dental Work #2

This is a day past when I wanted to get this posted, but I just wasn't feeling up to writing last night. So, here goes...

Yesterday, 18 Sept., I had the second of three dental visits that will result in my gaining the required Dental Clearance ahead of my upcoming transplant.  The extraction site from last week is healing properly, and the dentist stated I would likely have tenderness for another two or three weeks. The clot over the [now] former tooth is in place and the gums are healing, as well. So, good news there.

Now, yesterday I went in for fillings only. I took in my initial Tx plan after discovering a discrepancy from last week. I was told during to my last visit that there were five cavities that had to be treated, yet my Tx plan showed six total cavities. I asked the doc to check that yesterday and he agreed that there were indeed five more that needed to be worked on. They are #4, #13, #14, #18, #19.

The first thing the doc did at this point was to administer Novocain via injection to the L and R side of my gums. This was the worst part of the day--literally--because once the numbing set it, the rest was a piece of cake.

Tooth #4 was the first to be drilled out and prepped as it was the only tooth on the R side. Once that was prepped he moved to the two on the top L (#13, #14), followed by the two on the bottom L (#18, #19). In total, the tooth prep time took about twenty five minutes. At this point the dentist gave my jaw a break (to hopefully alleviate TMD impacts), and I got to relax my jaw for about fifteen minutes. While I waited, the hygienist was prepping the tray for the fillings, and I asked what was being used as the filling material. She stated that the dentist is currently using a plastic composite paste, rather than porcelain, silver or other such materials.

I then asked how it was packed in and she told me that the dentist will assure all spaces and air pockets are out and tamp the paste solidly. At pre-determined intervals the hygienist was direct an intense UV light at the paste, immediately hardening the material. This process would be repeated until the cavity was filled and the proper cap of the filling achieved. Once all five fillings were in place, the dentist buffed them to the proper look. After this he had me bite down on some kind of paper so he could see if my bite was properly aligned and the teeth were coming together as they should.

The cavity filling process took about forty five minutes in total. Once done, I was given brief after-care instructions, and then rechecked for my next appointment, the Deep Cleaning.

The after-care this week is far easier than last week. Simply put, I can eat anything I want, so long as it isn't hard or tacky. I can brush regularly now (for me, that means I can start using my Sonicare again). After a day or two, depending on how my teeth feel, I can resume any normal eating. That simple.

As of this evening, the teeth with the new cavities are sensitive to cold and pressure, but are otherwise back to normal. I have no gum inflammation or sensitivity, no untoward effects from the procedure, or anything else.

So, that's two of three visits done. Next week...the Deep Cleaning. After that is finished I will have the dentist write up the Dental Clearance for my Transplant Team, and I will be one major step closer!
After so long, I can't believe I am just a few steps away from getting my transplant. It already seems a bit surreal. So close....

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment