Monday, May 21, 2012

Pre-Transplant Workup--Opthamology Exam

Today was the first of my pre-transplant exams in the workup routine.

I saw an Opthamologist (NOT an optometrist!) because the exam must be in depth and look at everything in and around the eyes. Additionally, we are trying to find a possible reason for the now 30 month long headache that continues to rage on.

Here are the results:

-My eyes are 20/20 R, and 20/25 L. I don't really have to have any correction for the vision, but was given a prescription anyhow.
-My Ocular Divergence has a deviation of 34--whatever that represents--but is otherwise unchanged since it was first diagnosed.
-Lenses are clear.
-No sign of cataracts.
-Vitreous Humor is clear.
-Optic Nerves are clear and undamaged.
-Rods and Cones are healthy.
-Ocular perfusion is good.
-Ocular Veins show damage caused by the kidney disease (due to BP and other factors). The damage is not severe enough to cause any issues now, or in the future. The damage could correct itself once transplant has occurred.
-There are no obvious occular causes of the headache.

The doctor stated that my vision and overall ocular health are "really good" considering my age and the advanced state of the PCKD.
I am to have annual exams from now on for keeping an 'eye' on things--pun fully intended!

So that's the first of the pre-transplant workups. I've got a neuro workup next. I will of course fill you in on how that one goes.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

*(I had something else I wanted to mention, but it has left my brain. If I think of it I will place the comment here.) 22 May 2012 150a: I remembered! As with every pre-transplant workup exam/procedure, all notes and records of said exam will be forwarded to my nephrologist for inclusion in my workup record. I am also keeping a copy of everything for myself.  sw

No comments:

Post a Comment