Saturday, July 2, 2011

01 July 2011

I had my blood drawn yesterday in advance of the next visit with my nephrologist.

The blood looked a bit dark to me (and the phlebotomist, too). However, her cannulation was 100% pain free! Nice job! I even commented on what a great stick she did; which was appreciated.
Anyway, I'll have the results next Wednesday afternoon. Depending on what is found, and after discussions with my doc, I might very well decide to start dialysis. I'll let you know.

The last three days have found me feeling from Ick, all the way to terrible. Continuing to have lots of nearly uncontrollable nausea. Meds are constantly upsetting my stomach in spite of taking Zantac twice a day. Plus, food is generally upsetting my stomach as well. It's a classic catch 22--I need to eat so I don't get overly nauseated; but if I eat, I become nauseated. Lovely. Luckily, my stomach does settle down after a while (between 20 mins to and hour...sometimes longer).

My headache has been elevated since yesterday. On the way home from doing my labs my head began hurting intensely. By the time I got home it was at a firm 10. One T3 didn't touch the pain, so another was used. Even then it took almost forty five minutes to get comfortable. Not fun!! I spent the remainder of the evening on this same level of T3's. I awoke today with the headache back to it's now normal 9.5. So far, I've been able to control the pain.

The mid-back pain I experienced last week has subsided to its usual level. I don't know why it was so painful last week; but I'll tell my doctor about it on Wednesday.

The edema, vertigo, smell of ammonia, poor eyesight and long naps all continue as before. Overall, I'd say that my general well-being has decreased significantly since this whole thing started. I continue to keep my mind in a good place; but my body is definitely another story. As time goes on my exhaustion gets worse, the bags and dark circles under my eyes increase, and my strength is depleted rapidly each day. I am becoming home bound because of everything. I try and get out a few times a week; but I am spending most of my time in the house.

I continue to play games, write my blog, write letters and work on personal projects that keep my brain occupied and engaged and keep it away from discouragement and other nastily negative things. I've had friends tell me that I'm a hero for being so strong. I don't personally feel that I am a hero. I've commented frequently that I am only doing what I have to in order to get through this. Without focus on my future and strength from others who buoy me constantly, I seriously doubt my ability to be strong.  But, mental strength is exactly what I need every day--sometimes every minute--to keep going. To that end, I express my thanks to those around me whenever I have the chance. Their words, love and gifts lift my heart, and bolster my spirit. I could not do this without the support of many others.

So, to those out there who are my friends I say, "Thank you for everything you do on my behalf! I literally could not do any of this without you!"

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment