Monday, May 9, 2011

09 May 2011

The small break is definitely a distant memory.

Saturday started out the same as Friday--increasing headache, edema, etc. By the evening I was feeling terrible. My gut felt worse than ever, I was so thoroughly exhausted that I slept for four hours after being awake for five, the edema increased again in my legs, and I literally just sat still in my recliner just to not perpetuate how I was feeling [by moving]. The only good news was that earlier I ate about 1.5 cups of food--the only food intake all day. Then, in spite of my earlier sleep, I was in bed and sleeping again by 2A.

Yesterday (Sunday) I awoke feeling the same. It stayed with me all day. I ate all of two small cinnamon rolls, and three small egg rolls over the course of the day. No snacks. I took two more naps of nearly three hours each. As the day wore on, all of my normal S/S's were present. The break seems like a distant memory; but at least I had one before going into this latest round of nastiness.

I had something new show up on Saturday. As I was awaking from my four hour nap, I was overcome by intense vertigo. I'm talking seeing the room and everything in it spinning and wobbling rapidly. I closed my eyes and it even continued! So I opened my eyes, and sat up as quickly as I could, grabbed the arms of the recliner and held on until it stopped. It left me nauseated for hours afterward. The same thing happened when I awoke in my bed on Sunday morning, then again after awaking from both naps. NOT fun!  The vertigo wasn't present when I awoke today--thank goodness! If it continues, I'll be calling my doc. As far as a cause, I have no idea. I'm not doing anything different, not taking any new meds, etc. It simply happened. My initial thought is that it is a new S/S of the advancing disease; though that thought has certainly not been confirmed by my doc.

I may have found a solution to all the skin flaking on my face and scalp. I mention the problem to my doctor [on my last visit] and he suggested Selsun Blue shampoo. Specifically, the formula with selenium sulfide. So, I bought some last week. After trying it once I am pleased to report that the flaking was less than previously experienced. I used it again today; so we'll see what happens long term. Also, I remember my mom, who also had advanced kidney disease, as having lots of dandruff as her kidneys worsened. I'm thinking it might be a common issue with advanced PCKD patients. I don't know if the flaking is caused by the meds, the disease, or something else...I just know I have it and it's getting worse as I get sicker. Any confirmation out there?

Also, I continue to exercise the AV Fistula. I can't see the vein yet, but expect that I will very soon. As far as the surgery site, it seems to be healed, but I still have pain when lifting most things. As with any pain, it worsens the more I use it. So, when I feel pain, I let the arm rest. Like any surgery or injury healing, that's just the process that has to happen.

Anyhow, that's all for today. Looking forward to a bit better few days ahead.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment