Saturday, April 23, 2011

The AV Fistula Exercises


This first pic shows the "equipment" that is needed for the exercises I am now doing to grow and strengthen my AV Fistula. Without the exercises, the fistula would not mature and I would have no clear venous access for dialysis.






This second image is the position of the rubber band and the ball.

The exercise is simple. You occlude venous flow with the rubber band, then squeeze the ball repeatedly for three minutes.

The exercise is done a total of three times each day. I will continue this routine until my next vascular surgeon follow-up on 08 June. I may or may not have to continue the exercises after that. We'll see.

So that's all there is to the exercises. Seems simple enough, doesn't it. In reality, repeatedly squeezing a ball for three minutes is difficult. The hand grows tired quickly, and the arm hurts because of its continued healing from the surgery.

For some reason I began counting the number of squeezes in each three minute period. My first time I only got in 60. After almost top full days of exercises, I am now averaging 85. It will be interesting to see how many I am able to do at the end of two months.

If you have any questions about this, please ask.

Good Health to All!

ScottW


(*Did you see the box of Altoids in the background of the second pic? I've constantly got 'em nearby!)




No comments:

Post a Comment