Thursday, March 24, 2011

24 March 2011 (2nd Post)

Here's the outcome of my Vascular Surgeon appointment...

Today both arms were scanned with ultrasound to see which would be better for accommodating an AV Fistula. Turns out that my L arm is best.

So, I'll have the surgery next Wednesday (30 March). The procedure should take about 1.5 hours. Unfortunately, I'll be under general anesthesia so I won't be able to watch the surgery (that would have been so cool!). Being an outpatient procedure, I'll be home a few hours after the surgery. Initial healing should only take about a week. After that, it will be three to four months before the fistula is mature enough to use.

As in any operation, there are risks. With an AV Fistula these include:
-Poor blood circulation to the hand (more common in elderly patients);
-Numbness either at the surgery site, or affecting the whole hand;
-and a 10% chance that the fistula just won't work.

The surgeon is confident that, because of my age and health (aside from the PCKD), I am an excellent candidate for successful surgery. He stated that the Pt's most at risk for complications [resulting from this surgery] are elderly, and mostly women. Plus, this demographic usually has diabetes complications which further inhibit healthy development of the AV Fistula.

So, that's the news. The next step is literally in front of me.
Time to get started, eh?

Good Health to all!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment