Monday, March 1, 2010

01 March 10

Well, I ended up not having the CT Scan.

I pre-medicated with Prednisone and Benadryl [because I'm allergic to the dye contrast], then went for the test. When I got there, the imaging dept. had some legitimate concerns regarding the use of the dye contrast not only because of my allergy, but due to my level of kidney function as well. I was told that with my kidney 23% function the dye would probably not be able to filter out of my body for a long while, and that it could actually damage what remains of both kidneys. So, after consulting further with my nephrologist, the Imaging doc called off the test and scheduled me for an MRI.

I can already hear some of you out there saying that my doctor should have already known about this probability. My response to that thinking is that even good physicians come across situations that they had not encountered before (or, for a long time). They are continuously learning; just like we all should be as we perform our work duties. My unique allergy, coupled with my percentage of kidney function most likely presented a case that my very good physician had not previously been presented with.
The important thing here--the potential severity of using the dye was averted. No harm done. I remain highly confident in the skill of my doctor.

Anyway, I had the MRI done this past Saturday (27 March). Again, this test was looking for possible aneurysms in or on my brain that might explain the now 15-week headache that refuses to diminish. Additionally, the images will hopefully show other potential causes for the 24/7 pain [in case aneurysms are not found].

So, I am now in waiting mode to hear about the findings. I should know something in the next couple of days.

Speaking of my headaches, my pain level over the weekend increased from a 5 to about a 7. Sleep, acupuncture, relaxation, food intake, tylenol...nothing helps. No treatments or other techniques I have used over the last ten years in managing my TMD is even making a dent. I haven't had headaches like this in ten years--which was before I finally got my TMD under control!

My nausea is better only so long as I take two Pepcid Complete tablets every day. If I miss even one chewable tablet, the nausea comes sweeping back with a vengeance. The Pepcid doesn't entirely remove the nausea, but at least I don't feel like throwing up all day...every day.

Other S/S's persist:
-Feel cold all the time;
-Smelling ammonia;
-Blurred vision;
-Lack of appetite;
-Daily occurrences (1-2x's) of diarrhea,
-etc.

I am doing fairly well at keeping up with classes. My two online courses I can juggle as I am able; so long as I meet the established deadlines. My on-campus courses are doing ok. I'm not doing as well in those as I'd like; but it really is the best I can do at this time. When I say that, I have to put it in perspective for you. You see, I am a 3.80 GPA student. To me, doing well is all A's with an occasional B thrown in. My current grades will probably reflect all B's with maybe one C. Disappointing for me personally; but the grades are "acceptable" considering what I am dealing with.

Anyway, (again) I will let you know the results of my MRI as soon as I know them myself.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment