Monday, August 26, 2013

26 August 2013

Well, this afternoon I had my one year follow-up with my Transplant Team at Intermountain Medical Center. I met with my Transplant Coordinator, the Dietitian, the Social Services Rep and a Transplant Team Nephrologist.

The meeting was all about seeing me, getting my thoughts on how things are progressing towards my transplant, and essentially assuring that the entire team is on the same page with my current health/treatments/time frames, etc.

I was also given a notebook with information about the actual transplant process, the after-care, and answers to loads of questions. This notebook isn't generally handed out to patients this far ahead of a transplant, but because I am obviously working towards the procedure, and because I like to educate myself ahead of time, my Coordinator thought it would be appropriate to give me the info now. (See...yet another reason to be proactive and show your transplant team that you're following instructions and transplant prep!) So, now I have an invaluable resource to peruse over the next few weeks. I will check with my coordinator to see if I can post some of the info on my blog once I'm on the Active List.

There was no blood draw, nor any other tests. The outcome was that I am doing great,
I'm eating properly, I'm in the right mindset and am conducting my day to day health
with the goal of transplant in mind. The Transplant Team had no worries whatsoever about me! Awesome!!

I was also given two pieces of info today...

1) The current wait time for a transplant is about two years. This can change, of course, due to other lists in the State, other factors having to do with cross matching, etc. It's all pretty technical, and even I don't understand everything yet--though, the Transplant notebook I was given today should help explain things better.

2) The nephrologist stated that of all the renal diseases that exist, patients with Polycystic disease have, on average, far better transplant outcomes than any others.
For me, this is fantastic news! Yet one more reason to keep my mind in a good place; knowing that my outcome is likely to be better than even I expected!

So there you are. My transplant is on track, and as soon as the dental clearance is done and I'm healed from the double nephrectomy, I'll be placed on the Active List.
Things are moving forward indeed!

Last entry I noted that I had additional blood work done. Here are the latest numbers...



*Albumin (20 Aug):  4.60 g/dL (No Change from 16 Ju6)
  (A measure of Protein in the blood)     NR (Normal Range) 4.0 g/dL or Higher

*Hemoglobin (20 Aug):  11.4 g/dL  (+0.40 g/dL from 06 Aug)
  (A Measure of Anemia)

*Ca Corrected (06 Aug): 9.50 mg/dL (-0.10 mg/dL from 02 Jul)
  (A measure of Heart and Bone health)     NR 8.40 to 10.20 mg/dL

*Phosphorous (06 Aug):  4.20 mg/dL (- 0.2 mg/dL from 02 Jul)
  (High Phosphorous affects the health of your Heart and Bones)     NR 3.0 to 5.5 mg/dL

*PTH Intact (20 Aug):  175 pg/mL  (+49 pg/mL from 16 Jul)
  (A measure of Vitamin D absorption and bone and tissue health)     NR 150 to 600 pg/mL

*K+ (20 Aug):  4.2 mEq/L (-0.10 mEq/L from 16 Jul)
  (Proper potassium levels keep your nerves and muscles working well)     NR 3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L

*spKdt/V Dialysis (08 Aug): 1.56   (+0.14 from 02 Jul)
  (A measure of the effectiveness of dialysis and blood filtering.)     NR 1.20 or Higher

The big news on these labs is that, after a year plus on dialysis, my PTH has jumped into the target range! I didn't do anything different, my body just finally retained the proper amount of this essential, naturally occurring hormone. Now, if only the hemoglobin would get in line, too...   ;o)

That's all for today. I really only wanted to highlight the Transplant Team follow-up and my latest labs. I will likely be getting to another entry later this week.

Until then, keep a smile on your face, a good thought in your mind and carry a lite heart!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment