Friday, July 26, 2013

26 July 2013

I'm finally feeling up to writing a blog entry. It's been a bit rough; but, on I go...

Dialysis Weights:

16 July 13
Starting Weight:  107.2 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.0 Kg
Water Removed:  3.20 Kg

18 Jul 13
Starting Weight:  106.3 kg
Ending Weight:  104.4 Kg
Water Removed:  1.90 Kg

20 Jul 13
Starting Weight:  106.0 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.4 Kg
Water Removed:  1.60 Kg

23 Jul 13
Starting Weight:  106.3 Kg
Ending Weight:  103.9 Kg
Water Removed:  2.40 Kg

25 Jul 13
Starting Weight:  105.3 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.2 Kg
Water Removed:  1.10 Kg

It looks like the consistency I had attained with my top and bottom weights is a thing of the past. I may get there again. More than likely, the inconsistency is just another indicator of decreasing renal function.

My latest labs:

*Albumin (16 Jul):  4.60 g/dL (+.10 g/dL from 18 Jun)
  (A measure of Protein in the blood)

*Hemoglobin (23 Jul):  11.4 g/dL  (-0.30 g/dL from 16 Jul)
  (A Measure of Anemia)

*Ca Corrected (02 Jul): 9.60 mg/dL (+0.20 mg/dL from 04 Jun)
  (A measure of Heart and Bone health)

*Phosphorous (02 Jul):  4.40 mg/dL (- 0.2 mg/dL from 04 Jun)
  (High Phosphorous affects the health of your Heart and Bones)

*PTH Intact (16 Jul):  116 pg/mL   (+10 pg/mL from 16 Jun)
  (A measure of Vitamin D absorption and bone and tissue health)

*K+ (16 Jul):  4.3 mEq/L (-0.20 mEq/L from 16 Jun)
  (Proper potassium levels keep your nerves and muscles working well)

*spKdt/V Dialysis (02 Jul): 1.42   (-0.09 from 04 Jun)

   (A measure of the effectiveness of dialysis cleaning the blood)


             = Good Numbers            = Bad Numbers




 

Most everything looks really good once again. My numbers are holding steady. I inquired with one of the Dialysis Center nurses about the declining effectiveness of the dialysis and what would be done if I hit the minimal percentage. Basically, one of three things could happen. One, I am sent to get a scan of my AV Fistula to see of any narrowing of the venous walls has occurred. If is has, then they will look at expanding the space once again.  Two, I am given a larger dialyzer (filter) to use.  Three, my overall dialyzing time is increased to provide additional filtration of my blood. Assuming I maintain my current spKdt/V percentage, all of that is moot. Time will tell.

As far as my fluid retention (see pre-D weights above), I have actually been drinking less fluids recently, which strengthens my assertion that my renal function has decreased. Though I am still producing a decent urine volume, I am obviously retaining more fluids. This may also be due to cystic growth on the kidneys--but this is only a guess on my part.

Speaking of my kidneys, I am having more pain over both flanks, and sleeping comfortably is a definite issue. Plus, I am now seeing visible tissue extension away from my back over both kidneys. My wife confirmed this, so I'm not simply imagining seeing it. Makes me wonder just how big my kidneys are right now. (hmmmm....)

I have been consulting with my Transplant Coordinator and it looks more and more likely that early to mid-October will be when my kidneys are yanked. I am reaching this conclusion in spite of continued urine production because of ever-increasing pain over and around both kidneys. I have to do another surgical consult first, and will keep you informed of everything.

I've been having a lot of nausea the last couple of weeks. It is still hitting at night, for the most part, but a lot has also been carrying over into the next day, as well. I don't like using the Promethazine (anti-emetic) because of how groggy it makes me feel, but it is better than the alternative of never-ending intense nausea or actual vomiting. Ick! During dialysis I've had to ask for IV Zofran every treatment over the last week. And yesterday, I had to have an injection twice!

My energy level remains very low. I find myself doing less around the house than what I have been getting done. And when I do work, what energy I have is quickly depleted. I still get everything done; it just takes me about twice as long as previously.

And that's about all for today.
I am looking forward to a good weekend, so enjoy yours, too!

Good Health to All!

ScottW



No comments:

Post a Comment