Monday, July 8, 2013

08 July 2013

Another week has gone by and tomorrow's dialysis Tx (treatment) marks one year since I began this phase of the PCKD. Here are last weeks' weights:

02 Jul 13
Starting Weight:  106.0 Kg
Ending Weight:  103.8 Kg
Water Removed:  2.20 Kg

04 Jul 13
Starting Weight:  106.0 Kg
Ending Weight:  103.9 Kg
Water Removed:  2.10 Kg

06 Jul 13
Starting Weight:  106.3 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.2 Kg
Water Removed:  2.10 Kg

My weights are remaining consistent, though I don't like being over 106 kg. I am consciously working on drinking less fluids to see if I can better control this.

I had my monthly labs drawn last week, but forgot to post the numbers. So, here they are:

*Albumin (18 Jun):  4.50 g/dL (-0.10 from 21 May)
  (A measure of Protein in the blood)

*Hemoglobin (02 Jul):  12.0 g/dL  (-0.10 g/dL from 25 Jun)
  (A Measure of Anemia)

*Ca Corrected (02 Jul): 9.60 mg/dL (+0.20 mg/dL from 04 Jun)
  (A measure of Heart and Bone health)

*Phosphorous (02 Jul):  4.40 mg/dL (- 0.2 mg/dL from 04 Jun)
  (High Phosphorous affects the health of your Heart and Bones)

*PTH Intact (18 Jun):  106 pg/mL   (-14 pg/mL from 21 May)
  (A measure of Vitamin D absorption and bone and tissue health)

*K+ (18 Jun):  4.5 mEq/L (-0.40 mEq/L from 21 May)
  (Proper potassium levels keep your nerves and muscles working well)

*spKdt/V Dialysis (02 Jul): 1.42   (-0.09 from 04 Jun)
  (A measure of the effectiveness of dialysis cleaning the blood)

             = Good Numbers            = Bad Numbers





For the most part, my labs are outstanding!
The Hemoglobin is always a struggle simply because the kidneys regulate RBC production; and since my kidneys are garbage, well, you can understand this one.
My PTH or Parathyroid Hormone is always low. I am doing what I should be diet-wise, but my body just isn't producing much of this. So, there really isn't much I can do.
The Phosphorous came down again! Awesome news!
My Potassium came down again, which is great!
My big concern in the effectiveness of the dialysis. This is the third drop in a row. Right now, I am just 0.22% away from the low end of the range the dialysis center wants me to be at--1.20%. I don't know that there is anything I can do about this as I have no control over filtering during dialysis.

This last week has been a bad one. I have been feeling really lousy without a break. I had to have an IV injection of Zofran twice last week during treatments to control nausea. Plus, my sleep has suddenly increased again. On average, I am getting 9 hours of solid nightly sleep, plus naps during the days. I am feeling exhausted all the time; and I mean more than usual. In fact, last week I didn't get any housework done, nor did I go anywhere. Just a bad week.

I am now just four months shy of having this PCKD-associated headache for FOUR YEARS. By far, this beats out the longest TMD headache I had by some 38 months. As always, the intensity of the headache goes up and down.

The bilateral flank pain is still going strong. The worst of that pain remains at the lower end of the kidneys.

My appetite is still ok. I've been cheating on potatoes since the 4th of July. I made a delicious Potato Salad that simply had to be used up!  ;o)   I finished it today, so I'll be good once more.

The neuropathy in my feet continues to be lessened. The pain is still absent, and the numbness is reduced, but not gone. I'll not complain, though.

I don't know if it's a result of not feeling well lately, but I've been having an increase of Vertigo the last week or so. I haven't done anything to precipitate it; it just happens. Luckily, I always walk outside the house with my cane, so it has kept me from falling a few times. (A fall would not be good!)

That's all I can remember for today. Have a fantastic week, everyone!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment