Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Edema Effect

Well, I finally got a few comparison shots of the edema that is occurring in my legs every day. Granted, the edema has worsened over the past couple of weeks, and the "normal" views aren't so normal anymore. However, you will see the difference.

The "Good"

                                                    My Feet This Morning, 13 June 2012
                                                       When they are at reduced edema.



                                           A side view, again, this morning, 13 June 2012



The "Ugly"

                                                 A Top View This Evening, 13 June 2012
                                                               See the difference?



                                                Another Side View from This Evening
                                                                    13 June 2012




                                                 Another Top View from This Evening 
                                                                     13 June 2013

There you have it. Like I stated earlier, my feet are no longer losing most of the fluid accumulation as I sleep anymore. The top two photos show obvious edema.
However, the biggest difference is how my feet look by the evening. The toes are edemic, the feet are grossly distended, and my ankles are unrecognizable.  This same cycle is now happening daily, and will likely continue to get worse until I begin dialysis.

Speaking of dialysis, I stated that I had to work out some financials before I could begin the treatments. Well, I ended up having to convert my Medicare Parts A & B to a Medicare Advantage Plan that also covers Medicare Part D for prescriptions. The monthly cost to me is $0 more than what I am already paying per month for the regular Medicare. Plus, it caps my financial co-pay per year to a relatively small sum.
Unfortunately, my Advantage coverage does not begin until 01 July. That means that I cannot begin covered dialysis until the start of July.
IF my kidneys fail altogether before then, I will do what I must. Otherwise, no dialysis until July.
Also, I have decided to start out with in-center treatments three times per week. I will see how effective the dialysis is, how much energy I have, etc. If I feel that I am not improving much, or any, I will look at doing home-hemo in about a month after the start of dialysis.
I know that I didn't explain that very well, and I do apologize. I will try to better elucidate the reasoning in my next regular blog entry.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment