Monday, April 9, 2012

08 April 2012

Happy Easter, Everyone!

I will start off today's entry by answering a question that was posed to me by a friend who was asking me about what I write in my blog. She wanted to know if I exaggerate anything, or otherwise make things sound worse than they actually are. The answer is a simple "No." My intent behind writing this blog is two-fold--

1) I am able to get things out of my brain and put firm distance between me and possible depression [because of what I am going through]. If I just internalize everything, I am likely to spiral into depression. Writing my thoughts allows me the avenue to express myself and to actually admit when things are tough. So far, my approach has been very successful.

2) I wanted to keep an accurate account of this experience in the hope that maybe...just maybe...someone out 'there' (with this, or any other such disease) might somehow benefit from my experience and take hope that their journey is not hopeless, nor is it unendurable. Plus, they might see that some things I write about they themselves may be experiencing, thus eliminating some of the fear that one can certainly feel in the middle of all of this.

Like I stated on my very first blog, I am not looking to be some hero in all of this for others to see and admire. Instead, I just want to convey fact, feelings, perceptions, etc that may be beneficial to others who might be fighting this disease. Exaggerations and all such efforts would be counterproductive to the entire reason I committed to, and undertook, this endeavor in the midst of feeling lousy when often, typing my entries is the very last thing I want to be doing.

Anyhow, let's get to the update...

Let's start with the Edema. Remember how I was stating that the peripheral edema always decreases right before my nephrology appointments? Well, sure enough, the day after the appointment, I began to see significant edemic increase in both lower legs, and a little in my hands. I swear it is a mental thing that is subconsciously triggered because of an impending doctor visit, then releases once the appointment has passed. It's kind of humorous; but, what can you do? One of these days, my doctor will actually see the severe edema in my legs.   :o)

My headache is unchanged, and remains unremittent. I have woken with the headache every day since my last entry, and have gone to sleep with it every night. My NTI devices (for my TMD) are completely ineffective in reducing the headache at all. Plus, I have been trying to concentrate on body positioning, muscle tension, etc that might also contribute to possible TMD complications.

Now, a rather unpleasant one...diarrhea. This has been worse over the past four days. I don't know of anything I may have done to trigger an increase in incidents; nevertheless, I have had at least twice daily episodes this week. Imodium (in OTC prescribed doses) has alleviated it each day after two doses.

The bilateral flank pain continues. I actually bought a new office chair in hopes of being more comfortable whenever I am working at my computer. The chair is endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association (ACA). So far, I am a bit more comfortable. Other than my new chair helping a bit, I am definitely in pain when sitting, standing or laying. Plus, if I am in one position too long I have a positional pain increase that is only alleviated by adjusting my position. (Redundantly written, I know. Poor English these days seems to be my norm because of how exhausted I am.)

And speaking of exhaustion, let's just say it is going, and going, and going...   After I have a transplant I think I'm going to have so much energy that I'll drive everyone around me nuts because I'll be wanting to go, Go, GO! It will be a good dilemma!

 As is now usual, my eyesight is better or worse depending on how I am feeling. I have an opthamology exam scheduled in May--I think. I will be sure to let you know how that comes out.

My urine has been exceptionally odoriferous this week. The color has been better overall; but the odor has definitely been stronger, as has the foaminess. No kidney stones, though!

I forgot what else I wanted to say; so, I'll be going.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter (belatedly) to you too Scott! I can't tell you how great the celebrations will be once you've had the transplant, are full of energy and are go, go, GO-ing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete