Sunday, February 27, 2011

27 Feb. 2011

A few very difficult days.

On Friday night I started getting a big uptick in nausea. It awoke me at 4A, and I took a dose of the anti-emetic (Promethazine). As always, it took about 30 grueling minutes to kick in. Once it did, I was finally able to get back to sleep.

Unfortunately, just like every time I take that med, I was extremely groggy almost all of Saturday. I took naps totaling about five hours over the course of the day. When I wasn't sleeping, I was continuing to feel nauseated, and going through multiple bouts of diarrhea. I was able to keep some food down on Saturday evening, but that didn't stop the nausea from getting terrible a few hours later. So, it was another dose of the Promethazine.

I slept fitfully (that's really not that unusual, though) and awakened with more nausea. I only took a half dose of the anti-emtic this time in hopes of not sleeping all day. As I write this, I've only taken one short nap today. However, I remain very nauseated. I took another dose of Promethazine about an hour ago. While the nausea is better, it is by no means gone. It is definitely still there; making me uncomfortable and not wanting to snack or even drink anything.

In the middle of all this nausea, my mid-back over the kidneys has been extremely painful; more so on the right (as usual). The ONLY thing that alleviates it--or rather, masks it--is the T3's. This pain has been going on since my last doctor visit on Thursday when the kidney area was palpated to determine sensitivity...and I can tell you with 100% confidence that that area is painful!

I was able to buy myself a big comfy recliner for when I do my home dialysis. I think I already told you that I am doing as much as I can ahead of time so that starting dialysis isn't a monumental production. So, I am doing things such as buying the chair, changing sides of the bed [so I don't occlude the maturing fistula], etc. The more I can do ahead of time, the easier will be the actual transition to having dialysis. Anyone reading this who might be facing dialysis, I strongly encourage you to educate yourselves as to what needs to be done, or what supplies you might need, and get it done well in advance. At the very least, your costs are spread out to manageable amounts.

Well, that's all I can think of for tonight.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment