Thursday, February 24, 2011

24 Feb. 2011

Here's the latest news...

My kidney function is essentially the same. That now makes it two consecutive visits with under 20% function--which means my kidneys are officially screwed. ;o)

My labs indicate that there is still nothing else going on besides the PCKD. (YAY!!!!)

Today we discussed how to know that I am needing immediate dialysis. This discussion was needed in case my kidneys take a dive before the fistula is ready to use. Things to look for include:
-Not eating anything for at least three days;
-Lots of emesis (vomiting);
-Stop drinking anything;
-Skin smells like urine;
-Highly evident systemic edema (beyond anything I've yet experienced);
-and a few other things I can't recall.

Again, if I need the dialysis prior to the fistula "maturing," then a temporary exchange site--either subclavicular, or in the neck--will be utilized until the fistula is ready. This is NOT a desirable option because both catheter routes run a high risk of infection introduction.

My latest labs are as follows:
-PTH 108.0 (22.2-108.9) *Big jump since last month's 71.9.
-K+ 4.4 (3.5-5.5) *+.20
-Glucose 97 (65-109) *<7>
-BUN 37.0 (5-26) *<2>
-Creatinine 3.6 (0.5-1.5) *<.2>
-WBC 5.2 (4.5-11.0) *+.24
-RBC 4.3 (4.7-6.1) *+.11
-Hematocrit 35.2 (42-52) *+.5
-Other blood wastes are on the high end of the scale.

The only number above which concerns me is the PTH, or ParaThyroid Hormone. It is AT the top of the scale, and took a huge leap this last month. Too much PTH can lead to cardiac issues, bone degeneration, etc. Let's hope that does not increase this month.

So that's the latest. More waiting...waiting for my AV Fistula surgery...waiting for disease advancement...waiting to feel worse with each passing week. In other words, things are going almost exactly as they should--which is great!

There was something else...

...sorry, can't remember (what a shock, eh?).

As always I will continue to keep everyone informed as to progression. I want to again thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Without your efforts I have no doubt that this trial would be far worse. Thank you!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment