Friday, October 8, 2010

08 Oct. 2010

Rough few days.

Ever since that day when I suddenly felt so terrible, I have yet to return to [my new] normal.

Wednesday was simply a long day full of intense headaches, elevated nausea, incredible malaise, three bouts of diarrhea, and LOTS of vertigo. I was supposed to run a few errands but never left the house because of how dizzy I was on a constant basis. I know that part of the dizziness is from the amount of Atenolol I have to take. However, if I don't take it, my BP rises to the dangerous area and my kidneys, heart, lungs and brain would all potentially have serious issues. Before anyone asks--yes, I've tried numerous other BP meds. Atenolol is, for me, the med with the fewest tolerable side effects.

Anyway, today was better nausea-wise, but everything else remains...except the vertigo...that is even worse today. My normal means of stopping it didn't work at all. The spinning and dizziness was occurring even when sitting or laying. Plus, it is taking longer to regain my senses (and balance) whenever it hits me. I've learned to not look up because that either sets off the vertigo, or intensifies it [if I'm already dizzy]. Similar to when I'm walking outside, if I don't keep my head down and focused right in front of my feet, my peripheral vision kicks in and the vertigo does to. REALLY frustrating to be constantly dealing with this so much. I'm hoping that this is temporary--but I have to temper that hope with the understanding that it may not go away anytime soon.

I'm still able to cook for myself (quick things only), and do limited chores around the house (slowly though it is); but if the dizziness doesn't go away, I definitely won't be driving anywhere. I absolutely do not want to endanger myself or anyone else. It's just not worth the risk.

The ammonia smell has also be intensified since the other day. Where before I had grown used to the odor, it is now once again extremely prevalent at almost all times. I'm even smelling it when I've got food under my nose! Yuck! (...and I wonder why I'm finding food unappetizing...)

I don't know if there was anything else I wanted to mention. I just can't remember.

So, I suppose that's all for today.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott - I've read over many of your posts on here. Thank you for sharing where you're at each day, each week when you can. Your 'About Me' says this is End Stage Polycystic Kidney disease - does this mean you cannot undergo dialysis or be put forward for transplant? Tell me to buzz off and mind my own business if these questions are inappropriate! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanna.
    Your questions aren't the least bit inappropriate. I really don't mind one bit sharing the information.

    Being in End Stage simply means that my kidneys are very near the level of function at which I can indeed receive adjunctive treatment--or, beyond pharmacological intervention only. Once I'm actually cleared to receive a fistula (a permanent, surgically created access point--a vein and an artery are joined; usually in the forearm), I'll be placed on the National Transplant Registery.
    When that happens, and assuming I have no living donor, I simply have to wait my turn. There are, of course, various criteria that determine a person's placement on the list. Where I'll be once I'm on the list is completely unknown at this point.
    In either event, it is my understanding that advanced PCKD patients cannot be on dialysis for a long time due to the nature and pathophysiology of the disease itself. My doctor stated that if I actually have renal failure (still a ways off, mind you), my options for treatment pretty much disappear.

    But, I don't think about that! No sense in dwelling on the negative...Only looking forward to a strong, healthy and full life ahead!

    ReplyDelete