Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Post-Transplant Update: 27 May 2020

After a hectic number of days running essential errands, I am finally rested enough to sit down and catch you up on my Kidney Clinic appointment.

First, the doctors do not think that the kidney itself is rejecting. All lab work and testing thus far do not show rejection. However, it seems that my body, despite the anti-rejection meds, is now struggling with the kidney. So much so, that I will begin the workup to be placed back on the transplant list in the coming weeks.
 
So...essentially I am having a non-rejection rejection, so to speak.

I voiced my frustration to the doctors, citing that I am 100% compliant, so it just seems odd that I would be struggling. They stated that, and I'm paraphrasing here, 'when a patient is doing everything they have to in order to keep the organ healthy, that they too get frustrated, and look extensively to figure out how best to proceed. Plus, there are non-compliant patients who have no problem for years; which just doesn't make any sense.'

Also, the doctors want to look at my heart once again, just to rule out any cardiac involvement. I should be receiving a call for that test (I don't recall the name...sorry) sometime this week.

A new med was ordered to help with my rising blood pressures; Spironolactone. Because the pharmacy had to order it, I was unable to start the regimen until Sunday. So far, there is no real difference; but that may be because it takes a cumulative effect, which usually takes several days to achieve.

Further, they once again stressed exercise, good eating, low salt intake (which I already do), and losing some weight, which I am already working on.
To that end, I was fortunate enough to find this past weekend, the exact same model of a Bowflex that I had used (5-6 days per week!) before this whole kidney thing began. I wanted that model (XTL) because it is perfect for my back, and has the ability to do rowing-type exercises, leg presses and straight down lat pulls.
The people selling it are moving cross country and did not want to take it along, and I paid just $100 for something that should have cost about $800!   It needs a little TLC with cleaning, small repairs and new hand grips, but that will be nothing. I expect to be able to start using it within two or three weeks; depending on how fast I can get things done.
Plus, I purchased some new shoes for my walks that are lighter, breathe better, and are cooler overall; so walks will no longer be so hard on the neuropathy.

Next up, the latest lab work...

26 May 20 Labs

*Creat:   2.94

*HCT:   36.2 (+0.8) Low

*Hemo:   11.6 (+0.6) IR

*Lymph:   7.6 (-0.9) Very Low

*Lymph ABS:   0.5 (-0.1) Very Low

*Neut:   74.2 (+5.1) Slightly High

*Neut ABS:   4.6 (NC) IR

*RBC:   3.98 (+0.11) Extremely Low

*WBC:   6.2 (-0.5) IR

*BUN:   41 (-5) Extremely High

*CA:   9.6 (+0.4) IR

*GFR:   23 (+3) Extremely Low

*Gluc:   108

*K+:   4.4 (+0.8) IR

*NA+:   138 (NC) IR

*MG:   2.3 (+0.2) IR

*Phos:   4.1 (+0.3) IR
          NC= No Change      IR- In Range

*U/A:   Due to the slow rejection, I will no longer report on the Urinalysis.

I'll only mention two of these lab values today, the Creatinine and the Lymphocytes.

After being at 3.30 last week, it was nice to see the Creatinine drop to more of an acceptable level. As the rejection progresses, this will vacillate around.

The Lymphocytes dropped again, placing me in dangerous territory one more time. This too will likely vacillate in the coming months.


With the rejection happening, I am doing OK. I am more frustrated than anything. I won't go to any bad place mentally, because I already know that this go-around will not be nearly as bad as the first one. 
For now, my focus is just on staying positive, getting my walks in more regularly, and starting to work out--however lightly--on my Bowflex.

I am to continue with weekly labs, for now, and will report on that cardiac test once that happens.

Stay safe as the Chinese Virus begins to wind down. I hope you all get back to a normal life as soon as possible!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment