Monday, April 20, 2020

Post-Transplant Update:20 April 2020

My BK test came back Negative...as expected.

So yesterday, I started the temporary Prednisone regimen of 60 mg 1x/day for three consecutive days. I will then do my next lab draw on Wednesday morning. Those results will give us a good picture on how to proceed next.

Also, with taking a higher dose of Prednisone, I had the thought that I needed to check my blood sugar throughout each day, as Prednisone (a parabolic steroid) "induces insulin resistance, causing insulin, either that produced by your body or injected insulin, to become less effective. This results in glucose building up in the blood. Prednisone also triggers your liver to release extra glucose, which when combined with insulin resistance, can lead to very high blood glucose levels..."  
So, I started that yesterday morning to get my baseline before starting the med. Here are my initial readings:

AM (pre-dosing)   BGL: 98
Lunch   BGL: 185   Insulin Injected:  2 U 
Dinner BGL:   189   Insulin Injected:  2 U
Late BGL:   205   Insulin Injected:  3 U
     *BGL= Blood Glucose Level      U= Units of Insulin

I will continue this through at least Wednesday morning , or until my Blood Glucose Levels settle back to normal. 

With my BGL up, I have had non-TMD headaches suddenly increase. They are quite painful, and difficult to control. 

As I won't know much more until Wednesday, I will wait until then to do my next entry.

So, stay safe, keep your distancing protocols whenever you are out and about, and keep yourself healthy and strong.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment