Thursday, April 23, 2020

Post-Transplant Update: 23 April 2020

The course of Prednisone went well.

Three days of 60 mg per day was easy to do. As predicted, my Blood Glucose Level (BGL) spiked because of the steroid. It ranged anywhere between 121 and 254. Within a day after the end of taking the Prednisone, my BGL had pretty much returned to normal. The only except thus far was last night just before bedtime. My BGL was at 144, which required just 1 Unit of Lantus (Insulin). I will check again throughout the next day or two just to be sure my BGL has fully returned to normal.

While on the Prednisone, I noticed all the usual side effects that accompany this anti-inflammatory steroid: Aching bones, restless legs, doing a lot of snacking, excessive thirst and slight weight gain. Aside from the aching bones, all other side effects disappeared once the med was done.

Over the past week my blood pressures and pulses have all been way out of whack. My pulses have been averaging in the high 70's, while my A.M. BP's have ranged from the high 130's systolic to the low 150's, and the evening numbers have ranged between the high 140's systolic to the mid 180's.
Those numbers are all extremely concerning!

I had labs drawn yesterday, and they are a mess.

22 April 20 Labs:

*Creat:   2.71 (-0.34) *This is great!

*HCT:   37.3 (-0.8) IR

*Hemo:   11.7 (-0.4) IR

*Lymph:   13.9 (+0.2) Low

*Lymph ABS:   1.4 (+0.6) High

*Neut:   79.3 (+3.3) High

*Neut ABS:   8.2 (+2.6) High

*RBC:   4.18 (-0.8) Very Low

*WBC:   10.3 (+3.0) IR, but very nearly out of the proper range.

*BUN:   59 (+20) Extremely High

*CA:   9.4 (+0.4) IR

*GFR:   25 (+3) Extremely Low

*Gluc:   94 

*K+:   4.0 (-0.4) IR

*NA+:   (138 (+1) IR

*MG:   2.1 (+0.1) IR

*Phos:   4.0 (-0.1) IR
     *NC= No Change       IR= In Range

*The U/A was almost the same with small variances in the pH, Mucus and Specific Gravity.

The Creatinine dropping was a nice surprise, as this was unexpected. However, that drop is tempered with the reality of the Lymph ABS, WBC, BUN and GFR numbers.
I have not seen the Lymph ABS that high  before--at least that I can recall.  
The White Count was way higher than I had anticipated because of the extra Myfortic I am taking, plus the Belatacept infusion last week. 
At 59, the BUN took a massive jump in the wrong direction! This is definitely not a good sign.
Even though the GFR rose slightly, it remains well below the minimum threshold of the desired range.

Like I said, my labs are a mess. 

I figured that I would not hear from the Transplant Clinic doctors yesterday simply because Wednesday is one of the Clinics' main follow-up days for transplant patients meeting their doctors. I fully expect to hear back sometime today.

Until I do, there isn't much more that I can do except to wait, and try to avoid getting too worried about anything.

When I know the next step, I will update this blog as soon as I am able; even thought that may be brief.

So, now I await a phone call...

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment