Wednesday, August 22, 2012

22 August 2012


We are still trying to establish my "dry weight" during dialysis.

What exactly is Dry Weight? (From the Davita Dialysis site)
"Dry weight is your weight without the excess fluid that builds up between dialysis treatments. This weight is similar to what a person with normal kidney function would weigh after urinating. It is the lowest weight you can safely reach after dialysis without developing symptoms of low blood pressure such as cramping, which can occur when too much fluid is removed."

For me, part of the difficulty in finding my dry weight is that I am still producing a significant amount of urine. True, my urinary output cannot compensate for all of the fluids I drink--hence the edema. However, it is also throwing a kink into finding my dry weight. This is basically why I continue to have cramps and feel lousy after treatment.

Right now we are looking at 103 kg's as my dry weight. Anytime we take of more than that level, I feel worse than ever. It basically ruins my off days. However, even at 103.5 kg's I have been both ok, and not. It's an ongoing process.

My dialysis  continue without further infiltration issues. The bruises I incurred are still visible from high on the L bicep to my wrist. They are slowly dissipating, though.

The following are my last three dialysis treatment results:

8/16
Starting Weight: 105.7 Kg
Fluid Removed: 2.90 Kg
Ending Weight: 102.6 Kg

8/18
Starting Weight: 105.5 Kg
Fluid Removed: 2.90 Kg
Ending Weight: 102.6 Kg

8/21
Starting Weight: 105.5 Kg
Fluid Removed: 2.10 Kg
Ending Weight: 103.4 Kg

As the numbers above define, I am consistently retaining about 2.63 Kg's of water between treatments. This equates to 5.72 pounds of fluid; or, just under three liters. Remember, this is in spite of continuing to urinate. If you'll recall the photos of my legs and feet pre-dialysis, then the severe edema really makes sense.

The button hole for the distal canulation site has been established for several treatments now. We are using a blunt needle into the site. For the proximal canulation site we are still using a sharp needle. A few more successful needle punctures should be enough to establish the second button hole.

Between treatments my appetite has been about the same. I am snacking very little now, and eat dinner, and maybe a lunch--depending on how I feel. Overall, I estimate my daily food intake to average about two and a half cups. That is significantly better than before dialysis! Though I am not yet gaining weight, I am no longer losing it by the day.

I forgot what else I wanted to say so, I'll wrap it up.

I've got an off day in the morning; maybe I'll feel good enough to actually do something. Hmmm....

Good Health to All!

ScottW



No comments:

Post a Comment