Monday, February 6, 2012

06 February 2012

Two things...

First, I had a blood draw today in advance of Wednesday's nephrology appointment. The phlebotomist had difficulty getting a good stick because of moderate hypovolemia (low water presence) in my body-- I'll fill you in on the reason for this in a moment. As always, I'll give the important details of the blood work when I report on my appointment.

The above mentioned hypovolemia occurred because of what happened last night. I was woken out of a dead sleep by intense nausea at 0200a. I got up, took a half dose of the anti-emetic Promethazine, and laid back down to get more sleep. After another two long hours of persistent nausea mixed with restless sleep, I got up and took another half dose of Promethazine. After taking the med I got really, really close to emesis; but it eventually backed off and I got back into another restless sleep.

Unfortunately, I awoke again at 730a--again with intense nausea--and again got extremely close to emesis. I took yet another half dose of anti-emetic which finally stopped the nausea and allowed me to sleep for five and a half good hours. Of course on waking, I was dopey (as always) for most of the remainder of the day, but felt ok otherwise. The hypovolemia happened because of the nausea I experienced. By the time of the blood draw (at 530p), I'd only had about one cup of water all day...thus, low water level in my body.

I have no idea why I was hit so severely with nausea. I didn't do or eat anything unusual; nor have anything unusual happen that might precipitate such a terrible bout of nausea. I've never before needed a full dose and a half of Promethazine to calm it. I'm hoping that this episode is all done. NOT a fun night, or following day.

That's all I wanted to pass along. Just thought I'd relay this unusual event with it fresh in my mind.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment