Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Post-Transplant Update: 20 November 2019

...and now to finish up.

I just returned from my visit with doctors at the Kidney Clinic. They agreed that I needed to be off of the Protonix simply because it is so hard on the kidney. It was also agreed that it was time to lose the Isosorbide, and replace that with a better BP med, Amlodipine (trade name Norvasc, common name Amlodipine Besylate). The dosage will be 10 mg 1x/day, and with my morning meds.

(from Drugs.com)

"Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker that dilates (widens) blood vessels and improves blood flow.
Amlodipine is used to treat chest pain (angina) and other conditions caused by coronary artery disease.
Amlodipine is also used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Lowering blood pressure may lower your risk of a stroke or heart attack.
Amlodipine is for use in adults and children who are at least 6 years old."

As for side effects, the most commonly reported is that of peripheral edema of the feet. Though this does not always occur, the best way to treat that edema is by raising your feet above the level of your heart when you sleep...if you can tolerate doing this.
IF this med creates too much edema, we will try another.

Also, I can discontinue the Isosorbide immediately, and begin the Amlodipine tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

As far as the Protonix, I cannot just get rid of it. I must do a slow draw-down off the med over a period of about three weeks. So--as discussed with the doctor-- starting tomorrow, I will take one Protonix every other day for one week. On week two, I will reduce that to every three days. In week three, I will take one Protonix every four days, then be completely done with it.

I will let you know how things go with both meds.

Next, the doctor wants me to stop taking Sodium Bicarb tablets (2-25 mg tabs 2x/day) entirely. It was explained to me that the Sodium Bicarb (aka Baking Soda..literally) helps the blood maintain the proper pH balance. As my pH has been looking great, the elimination of the Sodium Bicarb should not affect my labs. IF it does, then I can always go back on these benign tablets once again.

I have a follow-up appointment at the Kidney Clinic in two weeks (04 Dec 19). We will go over my latest labs, and discuss my progress on the Amlodipine, the Sodium Bicarb and the Protonix draw-down. If we need to adjust anything, we will do it then.

In the meantime, as per usual, if I have any untoward side effects from the new med--including excessive peripheral edema--then I am to call my Clinic Coordinator.

So, I lose two meds, but pick up one. However, without the Sodium Bicarb, I am taking 28 fewer pills each week! I'll take that!

Overall, the Clinic doctors are very pleased with my progress, and hope, like I do, that the new med will help me get moving forward in my healing and strengthening once again.

Next week I have both my monthly lab draw, and my next Belatacept infusion. With the Thanksgiving holiday next week (and extended family in town), I may not get to updating my blog until later in the week; but I will try to get to it as soon as possible.

For my U.S. readers, I wish you all a Happy and enjoyable Thanksgiving!

For my international readers, I hope that you have a terrific week, and are safe in all that you do!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment