Thursday, January 31, 2019

Post-Transplant Update: 31 January 2019

Alright...yesterday was my appointment with the Endocrinologist to discuss the possibility of a Parathyroid surgery.

Prior to my arrival, the doctor had already reviewed my medical history thoroughly, and needed to ask only a single question to determine whether or not I would need to have one or more of my Parathyroid glands removed. That question? "How do you feel from day to day?"
Being honest--as always--I told him that I was tired and dragging all the time, that my sleep was inconsistent and that I expected to be further along [at this point following transplant] than I was.

The doctor then went on to explain that with my current status, and considering the length of time I was on dialysis combined with my latest PTH result, there would be no option to manage the Hyperparathyroidism; but instead, the removal as many as three of the Parathyroid glands, and possibly trim down the fourth gland if it is enlarged. After that, the one Parathyroid gland will do most of the work for this part of the endocrine system; with some assistance from a calcium supplement.

He further explained about the three types of Parathyroid issues: The Primary (develops on its own w/o other intervening factors); the Secondary (brought about due to other health factors such as Renal failure); and the Tertiary (which is actually a combination of both Primary and Secondary issues). By the way...my Parathyroid issues are Secondary in nature only.

We discussed possible complications--as with any surgery--that include vocal chord paralysis and a hematoma in the notch on the lower neck post-surgery. Both issues are rare, but they do happen. Expected recovery time is between 1-2 weeks. There will be no visible stitches because the doctor will use internal dissolvable sutures, with surgical glue on the outside of the incision. Additionally, because of my transplant status, I will be staying in hospital overnight to assure that no untoward complications develop in the hours following surgery.

The surgery has been scheduled for 20 February in what I refer to as my second home, at Intermountain Medical Center. Building #5, which is where the surgery will take place, is home to the surgical wing and patient tower (and home to the Transplant Patient floor). Between surgeries and hospitalizations, I have stayed on the Transplant floor a total of 32 days over the past nineteen months; and have been to the IMC campus so many times for Kidney Clinic, Belatacept Infusions, Lab draws and numerous outpatient tests that those times add up to around another 40 days (or more...probably a lot more!). THAT is why I call IMC my second home!

Anyhow, that is the news about the whole Parathyroid thing.

I just look at it as 'another surgery...another scar to add to my already abundant collection!  ;o)

Of course, I will report on the surgery, and anything important, as well as my recovery.

Once again, Thank You for keeping tabs on this long journey of mine. I appreciate your positive thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment