Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Post-Transplant Update: 19 December 2018

To start, this is likely my last entry for the year due to my upcoming Caribbean cruise. 
I leave two days after Christmas, and won't return until the morning of January 7th.
So, let's get to it...

I had my initial acupuncture Tx (treatment) on my feet [to treat the neuropathy], and it actually did some initial good. A couple of days later, while on a walk, I noticed that my feet actually felt cold...something that hasn't happened in at least five years! Additionally, I felt less heat in both feet while walking around the house, and more numbness...again, something I haven't experienced in years. So, the acupuncture has helped. I've already had a second Tx [with more positive results], with one more on Friday, then one last one (before the cruise) next Wednesday.
Also, I began acupuncture to help the TMD headaches. This one, as I've already stated, will not be so easy to resolve. It will take some time to see any positive results; but at least the Tx's have begun.
I also asked about acupuncture for the kidney, and my doctor stated that, seeing that it is a transplanted organ, and in a different location, he was unsure about any Tx, but would research any possible needle placements. If we can proceed, I will certainly let you know.

And on the subject of my headaches, they have been in a severe uptick all month. Right now, my daily average headache ranges between 6-8. As a result, I get no breaks--even brief ones--and my med usage (Tylenol and T3's) is up. The NTI devices are doing little to curtail the pain, and all of my efforts to mitigate the TMD effects are merely brushed away by the resilient, intense pain. When I previously got the TMD under control, back around 2000, I remember the headaches getting extremely intense before what became the actual decline of the pain had begun.  So, on I go; hoping for better days ahead in this area. 

Next, my December visit to the Kidney Clinic went well. The doctors are please with my overall progress; so much so that, barring any unforeseen complications, my January visit will be my last one with the Clinic. After that, I am to be turned over once again to my local Nephrologist. I must admit that I am more than a little trepidacious about that transition. After all, the last time I was handed over to my local doctor, I had a full-blown rejection episode about one month later. Let's just hope that nothing else happens to set me back even further.

11 Dec 18 Labs:

*Creat:   2.67 (-0.14) 

*HCT:   33.8 (-2.5) Low

*Hemo:   10.6 (-0.7) IR

*Lymph:   1.8 (-6.5) Extremely Low

*Lymph ABS:   0.2 (-0.5) Extremely Low

*Neut:   84.1 (+1.1) High

*Neut ABS:   7.1 (+0.6) High

*RBC:   3.72 (-0.27) Very Low

*WBC:   8.4 (+0.6) IR

*BUN:   62 (+20) Extremely High

*CA:   9.7 (-0.5) IR

*GFR:   26 (+1) Extremely Low

*Gluc: 98

*K+:   4.4 (NC) IR

*NA+:   141 (NC) IR

*Prot:   6.7 (-0.4) IR

*MG:   2.5 (NC) IR

*Phos:   3.9 (+0.2) IR

*BK/CMV:   Not Checked


The Creatinine is coming down. However, the clinic doctors stated that my final creatinine level may simply be higher than expected. Time, exercise and personal body chemistry will all be determinants in where this settles as a final range. Until then, it will likely vacillate from lab draw to lab draw.

The Hematocrit, Hemoglobin and Red Blood Cells all seem stable; at this point.

The Lymphocytes took another nasty plunge after a short period of stability. I was told that with the White Blood Cells holding steady, I should be fine, so long as I continue with precautions. Both Lymphocyte readings should soon stabilize, as well.

And Lastly on the labs, I am essentially done with the BK and CMV checks. Aside from once per year, the BK will not be looked at; and, contrary to what I had previously believed (and NOT accurately whatsoever), the CMV is only checked once or twice following transplant to assure this organ-killing virus was not transferred to the recipient. So, unless I have another transplant, there are no more CMV checks.

My next Belatacept infusion is on Christmas Eve. I do not anticipate any side effects at this point.

As a precaution, I have been prescribed an antibiotic to take each day during the cruise. This will simply help my body to fight anything I might be exposed to. Aside from that, I will be wearing masks as much as I can. This will be at any airports, hotels, on the ship, on shore excursions etc. Basically, any time I am around a lot of people--aside from whenever I eat--I will be wearing a mask.  Additionally, I will be freely using hand sanitizer at any and all opportunities. While I do not anticipate any issues arising, I will NOT be taking any unnecessary chances with my kidney.

My weight has increased again. As of this morning, I am up to 121 Kg's. I have already been instructed to reduce the Lasix to 40 mg/day (in the morning), plus, to increase my water intake to 2.5 Liters every day; in addition to any other fluids. So far, my weight, though up, has held fairly steady. Let's hope this continues...

Despite my weight gain, I have noticed that I am unconsciously holding my abdomen in nearly all of the time. This is extremely good news! This basically means that I am finally regaining some of my core strength following the long hernia repair recovery. Though that numbness throughout the abdomen still exists, the fact that I am able to develop core strength without realizing it is incredible! This fact gives me tremendous hope for furthering my ability to begin core exercises sooner than I had anticipated.  Plus, I am walking better, stronger and a bit faster. Even though my daily walks are not consistent right now, what I have done so far has proven to be muscle-building, and I am getting excited for what lies ahead.

I think that that is about all I have.

Again, I will not post another entry until after the New Year. 

May you all have a Very Merry Christmas! 

And Happy New Year!

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment