Wednesday, January 8, 2014

08 January 2014

I know it's been only a relative few days since my last entry, but I have an important update to share with you. So, let's begin with the usual...

Dialysis Weights:

02 Jan 14
Starting Weight:  108.8 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.9 Kg
Water Removed:  3.90 Kg

04 Jan 14
Starting Weight:  108.0 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.0 Kg
Water Removed:  4.00 Kg

07 Jan 14
Starting Weight:  107.5 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.8 Kg
Water Removed:  2.70 Kg

After what happened with my fistula arm last week, I am still playing catch-up on my weight. I would have been closer yesterday--my goal was 104.00 end weight--but with about an hour to go in the Tx, I became extremely nauseated. I'd already had a dose of Zofran when I first got on dialysis, so another dose was not possible. Instead, I was infused with about 200cc's of saline. This Tx often works to minimize cramping and nausea in pts. However, for me, it did little good other than increasing my weight by .80 Kg. That's OK though, because I am getting even better at controlling my fluids; so going into tomorrow, I am hoping for a two kilogram increase. By Saturdays conclusion of Tx, I want to be at 103.5 or lower.

In dialysis we are still going with the one button hole needle, and one sharps needle. Canulation is still painful, but at least we're getting it on the first try every Tx (treatment).
On the subject of my fistula arm...The bruising is showing up now and, thought not significant to the eye, the pain I have in my entire lower arm is still quite bad. It will just take time for the arm to heal. In a few weeks I shouldn't need the lidocane injections [prior to canulation] anymore.

Overall, the nausea I've been experiencing (post-surgery) has reduced. I am still getting nauseated more than I'd like; but at least it is less often than it has been lately.

I can tell my brain is clearing a bit since the nephrectomy. My ability to hold intelligent, thoughtful conversations is better, and my sense of humor is re-emerging once again. I am laughing more, joking more and have zinged my wife with some digs a few times--something I haven't done in a few years. So I'm enjoying my brain improving, for sure!

The last two weeks I have noticed that my sleep is getting better and better. The quality is definitely vastly improved, and the total hours I get at a time are up. I am taking fewer naps, and feel relatively rested; more so than in the last two or three years.
And, my dreams are in total control. I haven't had a bad dream since mid-October, or so. I'll definitely take that one, too!

Alright, on to my news...

I contacted my Transplant Coordinator yesterday about getting on the Active Recipient List, seeing that I am now seven weeks post-surgery. I heard back from her within a couple of hours. She stated that I need to update two tests--The Cardiac Stress Test and the PRA blood work.
She will be sending the PRA kit to my dialysis center, and they will draw the labs.
On Friday, 17 January, I will be doing the Cardiac Stress test. Seeing that my last test showed a 100% health rate, I am not the least bit worried about getting a bad result. Ain't gonna happen.
Anyhow, once the labs are evaluated and the Cardiac Test completed, I will be evaluated for the Active List. Woo-Hoo! Four years plus, and I will finally be on the fast track for a transplant!
Once I'm on the active list, it will be anywhere between a few months to two years before I get the transplant.

So, that's the latest.

Things are getting much, much closer to the end of all of this. At least, of this phase. Once I do have the transplant, it's a whole new life to adjust to. I'll have LOTS of blood draws, LOTS of follow-up by the Transplant Team, my body has to adjust to the meds, I have to regain strength and stamina, and I have to get back to life in general.

There's still a long road to travel...so keep on stopping by, even after I have the long-awaited kidney transplant.

Thanks for continuing to walk with me on this journey!

Good Health to All!

ScottW
 

1 comment: