Wednesday, December 5, 2012

05 December 2012

I had something interesting happen on Monday (03 Dec).

On Sunday night when I did my nighttime weigh-in I saw that I had gained about seven pounds from the time I awoke. That was certainly odd in and of itself.
Then Monday, as the day progressed, the bilateral flank pain grew exponentially. I was taking two T3's at a time just to cap the pain; and even that was barely working. Looking at my back in the mirror there were two distinct large bumps over the kidneys. I couldn't sit back on anything without the pain increasing significantly. To say I was miserable all day would be a slight understatement. :o(

Then on Tuesday morning while doing dialysis, I weighed in at 107.5 kg--heavier at any time since my initial tx back in July. Even with my new dry weight (104.1 kg), the total being taken was planned at 3.9 kg (compensating for saline rinse back in tx). As the tx progressed I began noticing that the flank pain was easing up a bit. Near the end, I became so nauseated from the fluid loss that I nearly threw up! The nurse gave me a saline bolus of about 200 cc's and the nausea was alleviated.

As yesterday wore on, I noticed the flank pain was back to its normal intensity and overall pain level. However, I slept poorly because of excessive cramping in my lower legs and feet. Heat didn't help, nor did Icy Hot. I drank some water (about 12 oz), kept my feet warm and planted flat on the floor, and just waited for the cramping to ease up; which it eventually did. I looked in the mirror late last night and saw that the pronounced bumps over the kidneys were gone, too.

So, it seems that my kidneys took on a sudden--and very painful--water load which was only alleviated by dialysis. If this happens again, I will know it is a new normal, and that I must consider getting the dbl nephrectomy sooner than planned. We'll see. That decision would come down to advice from my Transplant Team.

I will definitely keep you updated if it looks like things are headed in that direction.

Had monthly labs drawn yesterday; but those numbers are not yet available. I will do another, detailed entry on Friday...or...at least I am planning on doing so.  :o)

Good Health to All!

ScottW



No comments:

Post a Comment