Sunday, December 16, 2012

16 December 2012

Since it has been a while since my last entry, let's start with the weights...

08 Dec 12
Starting Weight:  107.0 Kg
Water Removed:  2.50 Kg
Ending Weight: 103.5 Kg

11 Dec 12
Starting Weight:  107.2 Kg
Water Removed:  2.90 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.3 Kg

13 Dec 12
Starting Weight:  107.6 Kg
Water Removed:  3.50 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.1 Kg

15 Dec 12
Starting Weight:  108.1 Kg
Water Removed:  3.80 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.3 Kg

As you can see, my weight has increased when starting my treatment (Tx). I think this is largely due to my being low on electrolytes. When these are low, you often feel excessively thirsty; but no matter how much you drink the thirst remains. Well, I have definitely been water-loading over the past week with that excessive thirst. Doing so only adds extra weight seeing that I no longer excrete the same amount I take in.
Once I realized I was doing this, I went to the store and picked up a liter of Glaceau Smart Water, an electrolyte enhanced bottled water that has no sugar added...just electrolytes.
I drank half last night, and the rest this afternoon and I am already feeling less thirsty, and have, accordingly, drunk less liquids.
I think I will keep a bottle around all the time to be sure this doesn't happen again. My next Tx weigh-in will tell me if I was right in this assertion.

This past Tuesday the dialysis center redrew the post-Tx blood (through the return tube) to check the URR again. After last week's 7% drop, I think they wanted to see if that was aberrant or not. This weeks' URR increased 1% to 69%. Fluctuations in renal effectiveness is normal, so if the drop is temporary, then no big deal. If the numbers stay down, then we know my kidney function has decreased again.

My headache continues without interruption. Now 37 months and counting, the headache is still far worse on D-days due to the fluid shift. My average daily use of T3's remains at about 3.33/day. [Aside from dialysis days] The incidences of medicating for the headache vs the flank pain is now about 50/50.

My appetite is still up and down. Breakfast is a rarity, and lunches usually happen on my Tx days, but almost no others. My snacking has decreased again, and dinners are usually larger now (about 2-2.5 cups). The best part about my appetite is that I am beginning to taste food again! I don't know why I am tasting again; but I won't complain at all because I am enjoying the many taste differences in foods. So nice to have happen because I have hardly tasted my food for a couple of years now.

Aside from the kidney thing, my overall health remains excellent. My lungs are clear, my heart sounds great, and there is nothing else going on that is unusual. I continue to be greatly blessed that no other systems have been affected!

I seem to be starting another cycle of not sleeping well and having an increasing number of naps every day. Right now I am only averaging about five good hours of sleep per night, and around 4 to 5 15-20 minute naps throughout the day. Accordingly, my dreams have been harder to control again. Time to starting giving myself positive reinforcements as I go to sleep. It always works, for me!

And that's all for tonight. No more information is coming to mind!  :o)

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment