Friday, October 19, 2012

19 October 2012

It's now been twelve days since my last entry on how things are going day to day, so I thought I'd take the time and get you caught up.

Like usual, I'll begin with my dialysis weight changes:

08 October
Starting Weight: 105.5 Kg
Water removed: 2.90 Kg
Ending Weight: 102.6 Kg

11 October
Starting Weight: 103.7 Kg
Water Removed: 0.50 Kg
Ending Weight: 103.2 Kg

13 October
Starting Weight: 104.6 Kg
Water Removed: 0.90 Kg
Ending Weight: 103.7 Kg

16 October
Starting Weight: 105.6 Kg
Water Removed: 1.90 Kg
Ending Weight: 103.7 Kg

18 October
Starting Weight: 106.4 Kg
Water Removed: 3.20 Kg
Ending Weight: 103.2 Kg

Overall my weight is staying fairly consistent; which is good. My legs are doing well with the dialysis so long as we don't take too much water, or I don't walk much following the treatment. If either happens, then both legs cramp as do the feet and toes making sleep nearly impossible--I found that one out the hard way. :o(

The headache, though ever present, continues to be reduced on my off days, then severe on d-days. I just remember what my neurologist said...that the fluid shift that happens during dialysis can cause a bad headache. No matter what though, I'll take the reduced headache; now at 35 months and counting.

My appetite has been swinging around going from poor to famished. Dialysis days find me feeling like I haven't eaten in days. My off days find me barely snacking during the day, and eating only a moderate dinner. I am trying to balance that out by eating roughly the same amount both days...but no luck accomplishing that just yet.

My sleep has been better. I had been having dreams again involving loss of control; but this time I was able to wake myself out of the dreams. Unfortunately, I was unable to get back to sleep, causing greater sleepiness than usual. This went on for about two weeks, but a week ago I was finally able to assert my conscious will onto my subconscious and I regained control of my dreams. Until I have the transplant, I believe this will be an ongoing struggle as my brain works through the stress and uncertainty of everything.

My weekly labs have been showing consistent numbers. Here they are for the last two weeks:

09 October:                                      16 October:

*Albumin   4.6 g/dL                            4.4 g/dL

*Hemoglobin  11.9 g/dL                     11.9 g/dL

*Calcium Corrected  9.8 mg/dL            9.8 mg/dL

*Phosphorous  4.2 mg/dL                     4.2 mg/dL

*PTH Intact  101 pg/mL                      116 pg/mL 

*K+ (Potassium)  4.3 mEq/mL              4.2 mEq/mL

*URR (Dialysis effectiveness)  72%         72 %

 With my Hemoglobin staying low I continue to receive Iron injections [through the return tubing] during dialysis. As of yesterdays Tx, I have had twelve Iron infusions in a row.

My energy level continues to be marginal, at best. I still use up what energy I have doing housework and maybe...a personal project, too. Today, I am writing this post for my "extra" thing. After this I get to go make dinner, and then my energy will be gone.

The characteristics of my urine are pretty consistent. Low foaminess--a great thing!--lighter color, and a consistent flow. About the only variation to this is when I awaken after a night of sleep. The urine is always darker then...don't ask me why, it just is.

The bilateral flank pain is constantly present, constantly painful. Moving around a little helps this to be tolerable. During dialysis, when I can't get up and move around, the pain gets to be quite nasty. I'd take something for it, but the med would just get filtered out leaving me in as much pain as before. I am already sitting up during the whole Tx every day, so there isn't anything to be done but wait for the Tx to finish so I can take a med for it...and for the headache.

That's all I can remember for today. I am again forgetting something I wanted to tell you about. Ah well. C'est La Vie.

Good Health to All!

ScottW


No comments:

Post a Comment