Monday, February 22, 2010

22 Feb. 10

Alright...here's the results of today's doctor visit...

My kidney's have lost 3% of their function since 05 Jan. They are now operating at 23% of normal. We started discussing permanent access shunts today for when I go on dialysis.

My [now] 14-week headache has my doctor very concerned. So, he has scheduled me to do a cranial CT scan (with contrast) this Thursday to look for any possible causes associated with the PCKD. I'll know either Friday or early next week about anything that is found.

My nausea is an advanced sign of the PCKD. My body is apparently unable to compensate any more for what is going on, and the nausea is just a natural course of the disease. However, I have been given the go-ahead to take OTC Zantac or Pepcid. These are still metabolized in the kidney; but because of the nature of the disease, metabolization will not harm the remaining kidney function. So I get to finally do something about the nausea...Woo-Hoo!!!

With everything that has gone on, you would think that dialysis is only a few months away; and it may very well be. But, I am going to have the mindset that I will hold it at bay for a long time. After all, how you think really does reflect in your body. I am prepared for the worst, but am absolutely hoping for the best.

That's the news for today. As soon as I know results from the CT scan, I will pass them on to you, my readers.
Until then,

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment