Thursday, December 26, 2019

Post-Transplant Update: 26 December 2019

(Because of Christmas, I am getting this started later than I had planned.)

This is my final entry for 2019...

Unlike I had stated in my last post, this entry will not be as abbreviated as I had intended simply because I want to tell you about my headaches and the edema in my feet and lower legs. First off though, are my latest labs...

23 Dec 19 Labs

*Creatinine:   2.54 (NC)

*Hematocrit:   37.7 (+1.1) IR

*Hemoglobin:   12.0 (+0.6) A touch High

*Lymphocytes:   14.1 (+7.3) Low

*Lymphocytes ABS:   1.0 (+0.6) IR

*Neutrophils:   76.1 (-0.4) High

*Neutrophils ABS:   5.4 (+1.4) IR

*Red Blood Cells:   4.26 (+0.13) Low  *Low end of range is 4.50

*White Blood Cells:   7.1 (+1.9) IR

*Blood Urea Nitrogen:   35 (-2) Very High

*Calcium:   9.5 (+0.7) IR

*Glomerular Filtration Rate:   27 (NC) Extremely Low

*Blood Glucose Level:   102

*Potassium:   4.1 (NC) IR

*Sodium:   141 (+4) IR

*Magnesium:   2.0 (-0.1) IR

*Phosphorous:   3.70 (+0.2) IR
     NC= No Change     IR= In Range


*Urinalysis

Color:  Normal
Glucose, UR:  Negative
Hgb, UR:  Negative
Ketones, UR:  Negative
Leuk Esterase:  Negative
Nitrite:  Negative
pH, Urine:  6.0 (Normal Range is 5.0-8.5)
Prot, UR:  Negative
Specific Gravity, Urine:  1.013 (Normal Range is  1.003-1.030)

The labs are looking steady, and decent. 

The Hematocrit rose nicely to solid In-Range territory for the first time since--I believe--my rejection episode in late March of 2018.
In conjunction, the RBC took another uptick, and at 4.26, am just 0.24 away from the bottom of the preferred range. This was a nice surprise!

The Calcium returned to its preferred range after that brief dip to 8.8.

And the best news was the unexpected jump of both my Lymphocytes and the Lymph ABS. A 7.1 jump puts me just below the minimum that I need to be at. Coupled with the Lymph ABS' jump to 1.0, which is actually where it needs to be, my immune system has taken a welcomed turn for the better! So, no more masks (in most circumstances),and I can ease up a bit with my overall precautions.

Lastly, the Urinalyses is steady once more, having only slight variations on the pH, and the Specific Gravity.


Headaches
Without the Isosorbide and Protonix influences, my headaches remain down from their previous, unrelenting low-grade pain. With only TMD now causing the headaches, I have seen old, familiar patterns to them from day to day. Since last week, I have had three days with minimal top no headache pain that was easily controlled with Excedrin.
However, Christmas day, I had a full-blown TMD headache for the first time in about two months. It took strong meds just to get comfortable, and the NTI devices proved of little benefit as the TMD went a bit wild. As of this morning, the muscles in my jaw had relaxed a bit, and I awoke with my headache around a not-too-bad 6 out of ten. 
So far today, the headache pain is under control.

Now, I know that it seems like my headaches have not improved whatsoever. On that thought, I remind you that uncontrolled TMD causes me to have terrible headaches for weeks and months on end without relief. To have one day out of the last two months be a little tough is a monstrous difference from what I know it has the potential to be. Having one rough day is nothing!

Peripheral Edema
Next, the peripheral edema caused by the Amlodipine is slowly retreating. I have not taken any more Lasix since last week, and every day that goes by sees both feet looking progressively better. I have read that ridding the body of the Amlodipine-caused edma can take up to two months; so seeing such a difference already is terrific!

Lastly, I read last week that an uncommon side effect of the Isosorbide is weight gain. This would explain why I saw significant weight gain ever since my rejection episode.
 I had been on the Isosorbide ever since that point, and saw my weight go from 114.5 Kg to 118 Kg, to 122 Kg, and then up to as high as 128 Kg. This happened despite my efforts to limit food, fluids and the use of Lasix to help my body shed excess water.
Anyhow, since I stopped using the Isosorbide, my weight has dropped from 126.5 Kg to 123.3 Kg as of this morning.
I hope that this downward trend continues the longer I am off of that med.

So, there you are...my final 2019 entry. My next one will be not only in a new year, but a new decade, as well.

I hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas! 
May you also have a fun, festive New Year celebration as you ring in 2020.

See you next year!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment