Thursday, March 21, 2019

Post-Transplant Update: 20 March 2019

This week, I will start off talking about the obvious benefit of the now-removed dysfunctional Parathyroid glands. I had my monthly labs yesterday, and the fresh Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) level has dropped from 103 (26 Feb 19) down to 62.
That number is essentially middle of the range for a normal PTH reading. 
This is fantastic news!

Next up, I had that dental appointment, and the tooth that had a piece come off is NOT affected other than having the broken section on the cheek side of the tooth. The dentist told me that the area had a clean break, and I would need a crown to cover it. I should be getting that taken care of in the next few weeks.

On the post-surgery side of things, the scar is looking better. I took the following picture yesterday; just under four weeks after the surgery...


As far as other things affected by the Parathyroidectomy, my nausea has reduced to almost zero, my headaches, though up and down this past week, are showing a definite improvement. In fact yesterday, I took only a single T3 and Excedrin all day. That's all.
Again, the downturn could very well be coincidental [in regards to the TMD symptomology]; but high PTH levels can cause prolonged unremittent headaches, so time will tell if the is real, or not.


I had my March Belatacept infusion yesterday, as well. The stick and the infusion were both done well, and I have had zero side effects once more.


19 Mar 19 Labs

*Creat:   2.65 (-0.09)

*HCT:   36.1 (+0.9) IR

*Hemo:   11.1 (+0.1) IR

*Lymph:   15.3 (+1.1) IR (Very Low End)

*Lymph ABS:   1.0 (+0.2) IR

*Neut:   78.7 (+0.5) High

*Neut ABS:   4.9 (+0.7) IR

*RBC:   3.69 (+0.06) Low

*WBC:   6.2 (+0.9) IR

BUN:   40 (-7) Extremely High

*CA:   9.9 (NC) IR

*GFR:   26 (+1) Extremely Low

*Gluc:   96

*K+:   4.4 (-0.1) IR

*NA+:   138 (NC) IR

*Prot:   7.0 (+0.3) IR

*MG:   2.2 (+0.3) IR

*Phos:   4.1 (+0.5) IR

**PTH (Parathyroid Hormone):   62 (-39) Middle of the Range
         NC= No Change     IR= In Range

On the labs above, after a series of elevations [possibly due to the high PTH], the Creatinine is coming down. I am still hoping this drops to around the 2.0 mark.
The Hematocrit, Hemoglobin and Red Blood Cells all showed more improvement now that the Parathyroids are out.  As far as the RBC's, a normal level is 4.50 to 5.90; so I still have a ways to go, but at least now that number is consistently increasing. 
Lastly, the Lymphocytes are better--instead of taking a dive; such as has been the case since the rejection episode. Plus, the Lymphocyte Absolute (Lymph ABS) rose to a solid 1.0 for the first time since last Spring. A key indicator of immune system health, I was extremely pleased to see this lab value finally hit that mark!

Next, this months' UA results:

UA 19 Mar 19:



Appearance:   Normal
Color:   Normal
Glucose, UR:   Negative
Hgb,UR:   Negative
Ketones, UR:   Negative
Leuk Esterase:   Negative
Nitrite:   Negative
pH, Urine:   5.5 (Normal Range is 5.0-8.5)
Prot, UR:   Trace
Specific Gravity, Urine:   1.01 (Normal Range is 1.003-1.030)

These numbers are terrific! Aside from a trace of Protein, this  reading is exactly what it was in February; which indicates that the kidney continues to process fluids properly.


My wife and I were discussing my weight gain since my transplant. At that time, I went into the hospital weighing 93.3 Kg.
With the steroids involved with transplantation, with the renal occlusion, with the hernia surgery and then the rejection episode, I have put on about 30 Kg's. Now of that amount, about 7 Kg's can be attributed to muscle increase, as I was moving around more.
The rest, water gain from high steroid therapy, is what I have to remove. We estimate that I have about 50 pounds to lose for my ideal muscle weight. That is about 22.7 Kg's.

Add in anticipated muscle gain, and I want to be at 235 pounds, or 106.8 Kg.

Now that I have that number, I have a hard target to shoot for, instead of an iffy 'about here' target that would likely change constantly. With Spring here, and my strength slowly increasing, it is time to get walking again. My 10-step plan for getting in shape is still valid...I just have to adjust the timeline a bit.
And in anticipation of that journey, I am going to humble myself and post a profile pic of how I look now for comparison against when I achieve my weight loss and muscle mass increase. I am planning on posting that next week.

Speaking of next week, I have my one-month follow-up with the doctor who removed the three parathyroid glands. We will discuss the latest PTH number, and most likely adjust my calcium intake. Of course, I will inform you of all necessary information from that visit.

Aside from that appointment, I  won' have (amazingly enough) another doctor visit--scheduled, at least--until May for my 2-year Kidney-versary, then early July for my local nephrologist. FINALLY!  :o)

And with that, I will end this latest entry.

Until next week...

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment