Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Post-Transplant Update: 16 May 2016

A bit of good news last week...

I remembered that after Kidney Clinic there was still a question I'd forgotten to ask my doctor and we happened to run into him on another part of the IMC campus. Having the opportunity to ask my question, I took it. The question..."Now that I am six full months post-surgery (Hernia repairs), when can I start exercising?" The doctor stated that 'so long as you have the energy, and don't push myself too much, you can start at any time.'

This is a day I have been waiting months to hear! Unfortunately, due to my ongoing exhaustion, getting started will take more time; but, once I begin having the energy, I will get started. In the meantime, I will come up with a schedule of exercises to begin the long journey back to better physical health.

Now, on to the infusion... 

Belatacept

Mechanism of Action: "Fusion protein which acts as a selective T-cell (lymphocyte) costimulation blocker by binding to CD80 and CD86 receptors on antigen presenting cells (APC), blocking the required CD28 mediated interaction between APCs and T cells needed to activate T lymphocytes. T-cell stimulation results in cytokine production and proliferation, mediators in immunologic rejection associated with kidney transplantation."

What it is: "NULOJIX® (Belatacept) is a prescription medicine used to prevent transplant rejection in adults who have received a kidney transplant. NULOJIX, an intravenous infusion, is used with corticosteroids and certain other medicines.
Model Portrayal
It is not known if NULOJIX is safe and effective in children under 18 years old or in people who receive any other organ transplant.
NULOJIX should only be used in people who have been exposed to the Epstein-Barr virus."

Dosage and Schedule: Your doctor will prescribe the dosage and schedule to be used. Application is by IV Infusion ONLY.

Side Effects--Possible, but very rare): "All drugs may have side effects. However, with Belatacept, many patients have no, or very few, side effects. Call your doctor or seek medical attention if of the following side effects bother you or do not go away:
-Headache
-Dizziness
-Constipation
-Diarrhea
-Upset Stomach/Throwing up
-Abdominal pain
-Joint pain
-Back pain
-Unable to sleep
-Anxiety
*There are other possible side effects to using Belatacept. However, only 1.5% of patients using Belatacept report these more serious issues.

For me, I will start my infusion Tx (treatment) at 5mg/Kg. My schedule will be 1x/2 weeks for 6 Tx's. All of these will be given at the IMC Infusion Center.

After the first six Tx's, I can go to my local hospital for once per month infusions (dosage unknown at this time). These infusions will occur every month for the life of the kidney.

16 May

My first infusion of Belatacept went very well! 

I actually spent more time waiting for the infusion therapy to start than having the infusion itself. As I thought, the dosage was 5 mg/Kg in a 100cc bag of saline. The drip time was a mere thirty minutes.

As for the infusion process itself, once you check in at the Infusion Center you are taken to a shared room with several other chairs (and possible a bed). Your vitals are taken, meds are reviewed and an IV is placed. With my arm so beaten up from the biopsy, the nurse took his time finding the right vein, then placed the catheter expertly, hitting a viable vein on the first shot. (Thank goodness!) 

There are numerous rooms for cancer and other infusion therapies, and the nurses are spread a bit thin, so my therapy didn't start for over an hour after I checked in. Next time, the wait should be shorter since there will be little information to review.

I was told that if I were to have any initial side effects that these should happen within the first few minutes. These could include nausea, headache, cardiac palpitations, dizziness and excessive tiredness. I experiences none of these!  

The half hour infusion of the Belatacept went quickly, and I was soon on my way home. Since the treatment I have had zero apparent side effects of any kind. Hopefully, this will continue following my next infusion; which will occur on the 29th of this month.

There was nothing scary about the infusion therapy, especially since my wife and I had done so much research on the Belatacept on websites such as the manufacturers' page, the New England Journal of Medicine, The Mayo Clinic page, etc. If you do your own research, please only trust reliable sources such as these. Going to Wikipedia or other non-reliable sites can have false or incomplete information on this or any meds or treatments.

So there you are...a successful first Infusion Therapy.

And with that, I shall wrap up this entry.

I hope that all is well for each of you, my readers.

Good Health to All!

ScottW








No comments:

Post a Comment