Friday, September 15, 2017

Post-Transplant Update: A Rejection Episode and So Much More

*Reminder Note--This blog reflects my own experience with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PCKD or PKD), and Renal Transplant. All of the treatments, procedures and meds have been determined by my doctors and local protocols. How any patient does under physician care is a solely individual result, and no one should infer that how I do will be (or is) indicative of their own experience. Please, always consult a physician for any and all health concerns, and always follow their guidance, recommendations are healthcare advice.* 


So much has happened since my last full blog that I have decided to just give you the highlights. This way, I don't spend days trying to get everything typed up while more and more time passes and more and more information must be shared. So, let's plunge into things...

Earlier this month I had a slight rejection episode when my renal artery decided to occlude proper blood flow to the kidney, allowing just 10% of flow to the organ. I was put in the hospital for a week as various tests, labs, and procedures were conducted to determine any and all issues that may have been going on. These were:

-Renal Ultrasound
-Renal Biopsy (twice!)
-Renal Angiogram
-Renal Angioplasty
-Bone Marrow Biopsy
-CT Scans (3)
-PET Test (Cardiac Stress Test)
and coming this Monday (18 Sept)
-Cardiac Angiogram and [possible] Angioplasty.

Plus, before the end of the year I should be having another surgery to fix two inguinal hernias that developed in my abdominal wall since the start of this whole kidney thing. Sounds fun!


Once the renal artery was opened [via the renal angioplasty] I have lost a total of five Kg's of water weight as my kidney may now freely filter all the blood. I fully expect this trend to continue for another week as the kidney keeps healing and filtering properly.

The whole cardiac involvement likely stems from eight years of fluid load and fluid shifts caused by renal failure, dialysis and fourteen months of a central line in my heart. The PET test showed that under stress, my heart has a full 24% of its muscle that is NOT receiving adequate blood flow. This  is a condition that many people develop as they age--usually in their 70's+; mine was just accelerated by everything going on with my health since my first diagnosis.

So, on we go. The Transplant Team has emplaced a fantastic team of doctors around me, so everything should turn out fine. I am not worried one iota that things will be otherwise.

Since the hospitalization the effects from the Neupogen shot have completely worn off (Thank goodness! That was painful!). I am temporarily on Insulin while I go through a drawdown of high doses of Prednisone--so my pancreas is not damaged by the steroid. This will end in just a few days from now.

My labs have returned to near normal levels. The latest numbers (from yesterday) are:

Tacrolimus: 7.2

Lymphocytes: 12.3 (They had been as low as 1.0 in the hospital)

WBC's: 8 (Normal Range)

GFR: 46

K+: 5.0 (NR)

HCT: 35.0

Creatinine: 1.67 (Great!)

Neutrophils ABS: 5.60 (NR)

and Neut Auto: 69.6 (Just over NR)

And that is where I am going to end this blog entry.

As things progress, I will update you as I am able. If a lot of time passes between entries, you can safely assume that something has happened to cause the delay, and that I will get the blog caught up as soon as possible.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment