Friday, September 22, 2017

Post Transplant Update: Cardiac Angiogram Results

This past Monday I had the cardiac angiogram to examine the 24% of my heart that doesn't receive adequate blood flow when under stress. I was not the least surprised with the result...

I arrived at 0700a, and was immediately taken to the prep room to change to a hospital gown, have the usual blood draws, glucose test, urinalysis, etc. The cardiologist performing the test came in to introduce himself and discuss the procedure, possible outcomes, etc, and to ask for any questions, which we had a few. Among the three outcomes are: Balloon expansion of the coronary artery, Placement of a coronary stent, or do nothing at all.

The test was expected to take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on any medical adjuncts needed.

After being taken to the exam room I was placed on the table , hooked up to various monitors, had my heart scanned via CT, and the test proceeded. The probe was placed in my groin area of the R descending aortic branch. It was then guided to the coronary artery through the descending aorta, which I watched on a monitor. (It was really, cool, actually!)

Once the proper artery was reached, the internal contrast dye was injected. Seeing the coronary arteries and their various branches was fascinating to me. Once visualized, the doctor announced that the test was done, and I would be returned to the prep room shortly.

Once back in the prep room, he came in to say that we should just "ignore the PET test because your heart, aside from the myopathy, is just fine. There is zero coronary occlusion, so no intervention was needed."

AWESOME NEWS!!!

So, I then had to lay still for four total hours to allow the access point of the descending aorta to close properly so that no exsanguination would happen. The nurse brought me some food, as well as two cans of coke, which help the heart recover from the test--it's the  low dose of caffeine that does it.

So, no stent, no balloon. To put it simply, now that my renal artery is open, my heart can now heal and strengthen properly. I will be taking a few cardiac meds for a month or so to help it along, but there is absolutely NO danger of any possible cardiac event in the future.
The meds include Hydralazine, Lasix, Isosorbide and continued use of Cardivedolol.

Next up, a visit with Oncology to discuss the bone marrow findings from that bone biopsy, followed that same day with a surgical consult to plan for the soon-to-happen double hernia surgery. Both happen this coming Monday (25 Sept.). I will, of course, let you know how both visits go.

Until then...

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment