Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Post-Transplant Update: 29 August 2017

I know this is late, but I had a busy weekend with family coming to visit, so I was either unable to do my Friday entry, or simply too tired from playing/running around and visiting. So, let's get right into last Thursday's numbers...

24 Aug 17 Labs

Tac: 7.6 (+0.8 from 21 Aug)


Creatinine: 1.94 (No Change)

WBC's:  2.50 (-0.5)

RBC's:  3.54 (-0.22)

HCT: 31.8 (-3.20)

Lymph: 14.0 (+0.4)

Lymph ABS: 0.4 (NC)

GFR: 38 (NC)

BUN: 46 (+0.6)

Glucose: 101 (+2)

Phos: 3.4 (+0.4)

*NC = No Change
*NR = Normal Range
      = Good, or Positive change
      = Bad, or Negative change
      = Within NR

So, a mixed bag of test results; mostly red numbers, though. Remember, these lab results will be up and down while we go through the process of stabilizing kidney function, in conjunction with normalizing my body chemistry as much as we can.
Also on Thursday I had a Cholesterol test done, and those results are exceptional!

Cholesterol: 136 (or, 22 below the Normal target Range.) This result is really no surprise whatsoever. I have had great cholesterol my entire life!

Triglycerides: 141 (In NR)

HDL Cholesterol: 32 (or, 8 below the Normal Target Range.)

Non-HDL Cholesterol: 104 (In NR--Less than 130)

So, even with the cardiomyopathy and nearly eight years of inactivity, my Cholesterol is in terrific shape. As soon as I can begin core exercises, and get my walking up to a decent pace, these lab values should only improve.

Now, as far as Monday's labs, I do not yet have all the results; which will sometimes happen. As soon as I have them all I will update this entry; so if the progression of these labs interest you, please check back.

28 Aug 17 Labs:

**(0422p) I just received a call from the lab stating that a [new] tech had begun my blood work in the wrong order and ruined the draw. So, no labs for Monday.  I contacted my Transplant Coordinator and she just told me to get them done on Thursday, as scheduled.**



I started taking Lasix last Friday morning to relieve Sodium content and extra water in my body. The Cardiologist explained that Sodium can unknowingly collect in the tissues of the body despite urinary efforts that would normally excrete the excess mineral. Lasix (specifically) will draw that extra salt out of the body via increased urinary excretion because, as a strong diuretic, Lasix increases urinary output dramatically.
Since first taking the Lasix I have lost three kilo's of water weight. My average daily output has increased by about a Liter per day.

To avoid my becoming dehydrated, I had to increase my fluid intake. Whereas before I was averaging about 3.25L per day of fluids, I am now targeting a full four liters of fluid intake. That number is actually low. I was instructed to drink closer to five liters each day.  As this is still a stretch for me--due to the mental hesitation that results from 3.5 years of severe fluid restriction--I am only concentrating on four liters+ from day to day. As I am able to do this consistently, it will be natural for me to hit that five liter mark.
Remember, before I was afflicted with the kidney disease, I was downing anywhere from 2 to 2.5 gallons of fluids every day; or, between 8-10 liters. So, I will be able to reach that level once again.

I have an upcoming appointment with the Transplant Team this coming Wednesday so they can evaluate how my body is doing on the Lasix. I do not anticipate any changes to the med just yet. Maybe down the road that will happen.

Again, look for the update to this entry for yesterday's labs.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment