Monday, January 5, 2015

05 January 2015

Well, Christmas and New Years are finally over and it's now time to get back to keeping you updated on my progress.

Let's start with dialysis weights:

09 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  99.7 Kg
Ending Weight:  96.3 Kg
Water Removed:  3.40 Kg

11 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  98.6 Kg
Ending Weight:  96.5 Kg
Water Removed:  2.10 Kg

13 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  99.7 Kg
Ending Weight:  96.3 Kg
Water Removed:  3.40 Kg

16 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  100.0 Kg
Ending Weight:  96.5 Kg
Water Removed:  3.50 Kg

18 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  98.9 Kg
Ending Weight:  96.0 Kg
Water Removed:  2.90 Kg

20 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  98.7 Kg
Ending Weight:  95.9 Kg
Water Removed:  2.80 Kg

22 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  97.9 Kg
Ending Weight:  96.0 Kg
Water Removed:  1.90 Kg

24 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  99.0 Kg
Ending Weight:  95.5 Kg
Water Removed:  3.50 Kg

27 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  99.3 Kg
Ending Weight:  95.9 Kg
Water Removed:  3.40 Kg

30 Dec 14
Starting Weight:  97.3 Kg
Ending Weight:  95.8 Kg
Water Removed:  1.50 Kg

01 Jan 15
Starting Weight:  96.6 Kg
Ending Weight:  96.1 Kg
Water Removed:  0.50 Kg

03 Jan 15
Starting Weight:  97.4 Kg
Ending Weight:  95.8 Kg
Water Removed:  1.60 Kg
 
Aside from a few treatments, my weight has remained steady. Around Christmas I came down with an Upper Respiritory Infection (URI). For nearly a week I ate very little, drank very little and felt pretty miserable. I coughed up thick, viscous mucous for nearly five days. Zofran every three and a half hours was a must, accompanied by frequent Tums chasers. The most obvious sign of my being sick was my voice. Whenever I get a cold or a URI, my voice bottoms out to a deep, gravely noise that no one recognizes as me. It's awesome! :o)

News on my L Arm:
Remember the issues I was having with my L arm? Well, it turns out the fistula on that arm is completely closing off. There was a small flap still allowing fluid through, which was building fluid pressure above the fistula causing the painful edema and discoloration of the lower arm. The vascular doc told me the edema and pain would subside anywhere between two weeks and two months.
So, as of this writing, the swelling in the arm is gone; as are the pain and discoloration. There is zero neural compromise, so the fistula is now completely closed off. The only residual effect is the hardening of the fistula. That will likely never change.

I've been doing research on the new rules for cadaveric donations of kidneys (and other organ donations, too). Because of my age, general health, time on dialysis, antigen score and anticipated life expectancy, I should be at or near the top of the list. While the original timeframe for my receiving a kidney is nearing its end, the new rules will affect that, and it could be anywhere between now and another year before I get a transplant. However, when I do, it should be a very healthy organ that will give me years of viability--possibly the only transplant I will ever need; assuming I will take care of the kidney.
So...the waiting continues...
The info on the new UNOS rules is fairly scattered amongst numerous sites. Start at UNOS, then branch out from there. The more you read about the changes, the better your understanding of the plethora of issues involved.

Although the latest monthly labs won't be taken until tomorrow, I already know that both my K+ (Potassium) and Phosphorous numbers are in excellent shape. Both are down near the 4.6 mark the last time both were checked. The new labs should be available by Friday, so I'll get those posted later this week.

That's about all I have for now. I won't wait almost a month again before posting my next blog.

Good Health to All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment