Wednesday, October 15, 2014

15 October 2014

As promised, here are this month's labs...

*Albumin (16 Sep): 4.20 g/dL     (+0.40 g/dL from 19 Aug)
  (A measure of Protein in the blood)     NR (Normal Range) 4.0 g/dL or Higher

*Hemoglobin (07 Oct): 10.80 G/dL    (-0.70 G/dL from 16 Sep)
  (A Measure of Anemia)

*Ca Corrected (07 Oct): 9.60 mg/dL     (+0.10 mg/dL from 02 Sep)
  (A measure of Heart and Bone health)     NR 8.40 to 10.20 mg/dL

*Phosphorous (07 Oct):  4.30 mg/dL     (-1.00 mg/dL from 02 Sep)
  (High Phosphorous affects the health of your Heart and Bones)     NR 3.0 to 5.5 mg/dL

*PTH Intact (16 Sep):  229 pg/mL     (-0.25 pg/mL from 26 Aug)
  (A measure of Vitamin D absorption and bone and tissue health)     NR 150 to 600 pg/mL

*K+ (07 Oct):  5.40 mEq/L    (+0.20 mEq/L from 16 Sep)
  (Proper potassium levels keep your nerves and muscles working well)     NR 3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L

*spKdt/V Dialysis (07 Oct):  1.61     (+0.33 from 09 Sep)

  (A measure of the effectiveness of dialysis and blood filtering.)     NR 1.20 or Higher

My numbers are awesome! The PTH and Albumin have not yet been drawn for the month, but all the rest are current. The new fistula is making a big difference!

Speaking of the new fistula, I have had to drop my dry weight by a significant number because the R fistula is working so well.
On the October 7th Tx I had everything at dialysis set for my [then] dry weight of 99.0 Kg. (This was my second or third Tx using the new fistula). When I was done with my Tx, I weighed myself; then re-weighed myself thinking the number wasn't right; but it was! My weight had dropped to 96.6 Kg--an additional fluid loss of 2.40 Kg! That's equivalent of about an entire gallon of water!
The added fluids came from my legs, back and abdomen; as evidenced by smaller ankles and lower legs, less inches around my back, and easier breathing from the diaphragm.
With that much fluid loss you'd expect to hear that I had massive cramping, an out of control headache, etc...but there was NO detrimental effects from the added fluid removal. None!
Hidden fluids that I never knew were there...amazing!

So, my new dry weight is now 96.6 Kg.

My new fistula is going great. The only set back was a triple infiltration last Saturday (we're still using Sharp needles to establish button holes). The hematomas created by the infiltrations weren't bad, but the bruising is!


The bruising only just started coming up yesterday, so it should be looking even better a few days from now.

As long as I'm here, let's get updated on the weights...

07 Oct 14
Starting Weight:   100.7 Kg
Ending Weight:   96.6 Kg
Water Removed:   4.10 Kg

09 Oct 14
Starting Weight:   99.4 Kg
Ending Weight:   96.6 Kg
Water Removed:   2.80 Kg

11 Oct 14
Starting Weight:   98.8 Kg
Ending Weight:   96.3 Kg
Water Removed:   2.50 Kg

14 Oct 14
Starting Weight:   100.0 Kg
Ending Weight:   96.6 Kg
Water Removed:   3.40 Kg 
The nausea has been better, but not absent. I have days when it doesn't bother me at all, and other days that it just nails me. At least I know that C-Diff is no longer in play. (whew!)
Last night I had nausea nit hard at about 0900p, and didn't let up until after 0630a this morning. Nothing helped it, so I just dosed with anti-emetics (Zofran, Tums) at regular intervals all night. Needless to say, but I was up all night.  :o(

That's about all I have for today.

Still waiting on any word from my donor, or the Transplant Committee....

Good Health to All!

ScottW
  
 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Update: 17 Oct 2014
 At dialysis yesterday, the tech got the sticks on my R fistula, and they looked good. They even flowed properly. But about two minutes after the Tx began, I suddenly felt my arm get tighter, looked down and saw a hematoma expanding; becoming very painful with every passing second. Luckily the tech was still by me, so I called out, "Jared...Hematoma!" The flow was quickly cut off, but the damage was done.

The infiltration came from the top site...one of the three places infiltrated on Saturday; which is odd because that same site was fine this past Tuesday. Unfortunately, something blew, and now my arm will be even better looking. :o(

Instead of trying to re-canulate, I told the tech just to go for my L arm again. Now, the plan for Saturday's upcoming Tx will be to canulate the L arm, giving the R arm a chance to heal. On Tuesday, we'll try using button hole needles on the R arm. If it blows again, we'll likely need to let the arm rest for even longer.

At least the L fistula is still [somewhat] viable. Otherwise I'd have to get a catheter in my chest, which I do NOT want! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment