Monday, November 11, 2013

11 November 2013

Alright...

Unless I have any vital news, this will be my last entry until after I get home from the double Nephrectomy and resultant hospital stay.

Latest dialysis numbers:

07 Nov 13
Starting Weight: 106.0 Kg
Ending Weight:  103.9 Kg
Water Removed:  2.10 Kg

09 Nov 13
Starting Weight: 105.7 Kg
Ending Weight:  104.0 Kg
Water Removed:  1.70 Kg

(I'll add in the next two days as they happen)

12 Nov 13
Starting Weight: 
Ending Weight: 
Water Removed: 

14 Nov 13
Starting Weight: 
Ending Weight: 
Water Removed: 

As of this entry (11 Nov), my weights continue to look awesome. I know this will change once the kidneys are gone; and adjusting will take place. Hopefully, I will master the weight before too long so the swings between pre and post weigh-ins won't bee overly big. You know I'll do my best, no matter what!

I had the monthly labs drawn last Tuesday. Here are the results:

*Albumin (22 Oct):  4.40 g/dL (-0.10 g/dL from 17 Sep)
  (A measure of Protein in the blood)     NR (Normal Range) 4.0 g/dL or Higher

*Hemoglobin (05 Nov):  11.5 g/dL  (+0.30 g/dL from 15 Oct)
  (A Measure of Anemia)

*Ca Corrected (05 Nov): 9.70 mg/dL (Unchanged from 08 Oct)
  (A measure of Heart and Bone health)     NR 8.40 to 10.20 mg/dL

*Phosphorous (05 Nov):  4.80 mg/dL (+ 0.2 mg/dL from 08 Oct)
  (High Phosphorous affects the health of your Heart and Bones)     NR 3.0 to 5.5 mg/dL

*PTH Intact (22 Oct):  142 pg/mL  (-19 pg/mL from 17 Sep)
  (A measure of Vitamin D absorption and bone and tissue health)     NR 150 to 600 pg/mL

*K+ (22 Oct):  4.2 mEq/L (+0.30 mEq/L from 17 Sep)
  (Proper potassium levels keep your nerves and muscles working well)     NR 3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L

*spKdt/V Dialysis (05 Nov): 1.33   (-0.05 from 08 Oct)
  (A measure of the effectiveness of dialysis and blood filtering.)     NR 1.20 or Higher


All in all, another great set of labs. The PTH has gone low...again. Not unexpected, though. This will likely rebound on its own. The dialysis filtering lost a little effectiveness, which is likely due to the deteriorating condition of my kidneys. This too will be corrected soon enough.

The headache has increased its intensity once more. It has risen from about 6.0 to a solid 9.0 within the past four days. I don't mind, though. It was decreased while I dealt with the latest dialysis infiltration, which I am very thankful for. Again, I am hoping the headache will go away once my kidneys are out. Now, don't be surprised if it isn't. I'm assuming there are long-term TMD issues involved due to tension throughout my body from the pain and discomfort I am constantly in. Assuming that is the case, it will take time post-surgery for my body to relax enough for that muscular tension to subside. I've been through that reduction before.
It would be fantastic if the headache was gone right away; but I'm also prepared that it may just take time. In the event the headache doesn't go away at all--even in the long run--, then I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, dealing with it for however long it stays. It's not like I've never been there, either! In either case, let's all hope for a successful elimination of the now four year long headache.

I had the required labs drawn today, ahead of the upcoming surgery. I just went to my local IHC hospital to do this. There were only three vials of blood drawn for these tests. The tests being run include a CBC, PTT and...one more that I don't remember. They are looking for Antigens, K+ level, etc. The biggest concern for the surgeon, as I explained in an earlier entry, is the K+ (Potassium). If it is too high, the surgery will be delayed. Luckily, as evidenced by my monthly labs, my K+ is in terrific shape, so this should not be an issue.

My dreams this past week have been leaning towards loss of control. This isn't at all unexpected because of the surgery. It's only natural for the subconscious to be trying to process any fears, trepidations, etc. ahead of such a procedure. If you are going through anything similar, be ready for possible bad dreams leading up to the surgery. Again, as I've stated numerous times before, find an effective way to combat the dreams. I have my own way--which I've explained previously--and I can easily get rid of them so that I control the dreams, and any fears are eliminated. Not everyone can do this; very few people, in fact. So find what works and use it.
I've been through surgery three previous times. There really isn't anything to be afraid of. And waking from the nephrectomy will NOT be as horrific as waking from my back surgery; so why should I be afraid?
IF something goes wrong and I end up losing my life, I'm still not afraid because of my faith in our Heavenly Father and knowing, without a shred of doubt, that I will be in a far better place, should something happen. So, why be afraid?
If you find yourself in anything similar to what I am going through, and you have any faith in your religion or God, then lean on that heavily, and you will do better than you think!
I know...I've been doing that for over four years now. You all can see that I'm not depressed, hopeless, etc. I stand as tall as I can, look forward to a productive future, plan ahead for what I'll be doing after transplant, and carry a positive attitude wherever I go, in whatever I do. If anyone wants to dispute the why of it, they can try to convince me otherwise; but I will never waver in my convictions and belief. I've seen to much, experienced too much, to consider otherwise. So carry your faith through whatever storm besets you and know, without doubt, that all will be well!

(I didn't plan on talking about all that, but I'm glad I did!)

I filled out my Advance Medical Directive this afternoon. This is necessary for the next two surgeries (nephrectomy and transplant) in case of something going wrong and my life ends up in danger. Considering my overall health--aside from the two ugly, nasty, dying kidneys, of course!--I really am not worried that anything will go wrong. However, just in case, the Advance Directive must be filled out so the medical staff will know my wishes, and my "Agent" (my wife) will be able to make decisions for me in case I am unable to. Anyone going through a similar surgery will need to fill out such a form.
When that time arrives, look at the issue head on. Avoid putting off the form and you will be unspokenly giving the hospital and physicians permission to do what they want, instead of what you want in the even of some catastrophic event while in surgery, or the recovery. So please, face the issue, fill out the form, and take it with you to the hospital!
It's for YOUR benefit that this is done ahead of surgery.

Well, that's all I've got for today. Like I stated earlier, if something important comes up, I'll make another entry before the surgery. If not, then have a great week or two--until I return--and keep me in your thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and recovery.
Thank you, once again, for all of your support, in whatever ways you may give it. Every effort is both felt and appreciated!

See you on the other side!

Good Health to You All!

ScottW

No comments:

Post a Comment