Friday, August 16, 2019

Post-Transplant Update: 16 August 2019

I am a couple of days late getting this entry done for two reasons:

First, the Dermatologists' office called on Monday asking if I could move my appointment from Tuesday to Wednesday, which I did.
Second, I ended up having a minor procedure, and I have had a terrible headache ever since, which prevented me from getting this blog done yesterday.

I had done research on the best possible Dermatologist in my area, so I was confident going into the appointment that I would be happy with his medical care and expertise.

After answering a few questions on my history [asked by the nurse], I changed into a gown; taking everything off except for my underwear.
When the doctor came in, he had obviously done a quick review of my history and began clarifying several points that pertained to my visit. He then began the exam, which was thorough.
He noted an increase of moles on my back, which are due to aging, so he wasn't concerned about these. He also noted the small cyst on my forehead, as well as tags (skin growths) in both armpits, with one being larger than all the others.
After asking me about several areas around my skin, he stated that it "actually looks really good for a man of your age." (I like that!)

He also asked if I wanted the tags removed and the cyst excised. As far as the tags, I told him that, though they never bother me, my wife hates them, so go ahead and remove them. With the cyst, I told him that I'd like it removed, even though it rarely produced anything. So, the doctor told me that he could do it that day, to which I assented.

The nurse ended up removing the tags, which was easily done. She applied a numbing agent topically, then a small Lidocaine injection to further numb the area of all the tags. She then used a clamp to pull the tags away from the skin before cutting each off with scissors. None of the tags hurt during the removals.
Here are the tags:


14 August 2019
The nurse held the tags in her hand for scale. The largest one was in my L armpit.

The spot from which the largest tag was removed  kept bleeding, even after a coagulant agent was applied, so the nurse put a compress bandage on it. The other site bled only minimally.

With that done, I was instructed to change back into my clothes, then was taken to a procedure room for the cyst removal.

I was laid back, made comfortable, draped with sterile coverings and then the nurse applied the same numbing agent to the area the doctor had previously marked on my forehead, then again followed with a lidocaine injection. After this, the doctor came into the room, explained the procedure and immediately began. In all, the cyst excision took all of about seven minutes...including suturing. 

14 August 2019
(Sorry that it's not quite in focus.) 
This is the dermal area that was removed. The cyst is the 
yellow sack on the middle left of the excised tissue.



14 August 2019
Site of the tissue and cyst excision.



The nurse applied a compress dressing, then sat me up. I got to choose the color of the Coban gauze that would hold additional pressure on the compress bandage--I chose neon orange!

14 August 2019
Rockin' the neon orange headband!


After that, we discussed instructions for wound care. I was to leave on the compress and Coban for two full days. After that, to remove the bandage while showering [so that it comes off easier], then very gently cleanse the area, and lightly pat the area dry.
After that, I will apply a vinegar/water solution soaked gauze pad twice each day for 10-15 minutes each, and do this for one week. Plus, I was given a tube of a Vaseline-type gel to apply to the area in order to keep the sutures moist and dissolvable. This too will be done for at least one week; or more, if needed.
Also, I am taking the antibiotic 'Keflex' three times each day for one week.  The doctor had given me the choice of the antibiotic, or risk of an infection. I relayed to him my latest Lymphocyte count (12.8), and opted for the antibiotic as my body might not be able to fight a possible infection; to which the doctor heartily agreed with me.

Lastly, the doctor had stated earlier that both the tags and the cyst (which was sebaceous)  would be sent to pathology just to be sure that everything is benign, and that nothing weird was going on with either. I should hear back on the results sometime next week.

At this point, I was given the clearance to go.

The numbing for the procedures wore off within an hour. Which the armpits hurt only minimally, the forehead was pounding; which made my headache ramp up.  Plus, the pressure from the Coban headband added pressure against the scalp, which get pretty uncomfortable. I just utilized Excedrin every four hours, and added a T3 if the headache warranted. 
Yesterday, the site was pounding despite my use of the analgesics, and I felt tired and lethargic all day; which is no surprise. After all, however simple, cyst removal is still a surgery, and is trauma, so the body needs time to recover.
Both Wednesday night and last night my sleep was extremely restless; which only adds to the fatigue.
This morning, I did as instructed and took off the headband--pre-shower, and the compress. After two days, the initial swelling is gone completely, and the site looks pretty good.

16 August 2019
Two days post-cyst removal.

So now, I will do the aforementioned wound care for the next week. The scar should be small and barely noticeable once it has fully healed.

I do not have to go back to the Dermatologist for one year; unless something changes dramatically anywhere on my skin.

Finally, I get to add yet one more surgery/procedure to the long list, as well as yet one more scar to the ever-expanding repertoire that is so prodigious! (For the record, I believe that this now brings my scar total to 52...and counting!)

And there you have it...All of my latest fun in one fell swoop!

I won't write anything else here today so that I can make an entry next week.

Good Health to All!

ScottW



No comments:

Post a Comment