Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Post-Transplant Update: 30 July 2018

I know it has been two weeks since my last update, but frankly, I haven't had much to report on. 

Last Monday, my labs showed that the Hemoglobin had risen to 9.8; just below the threshold for discontinuing the Aranesp injections. So, I had that injection as scheduled. 

I just returned from getting this weeks' lab draw, so I will be posting those results as soon as I have them.; which means that this entry is a work in progress.

Today, let's start with my headaches. Over the past two weeks, I have had a persistent TMD headache that just refuses to improve. It has averaged a solid 7, with occasional dips into the 8-9 territory. Where I had been having a great month in regards to pain meds, that has since disappeared, and I am now taking about three T3's per day, plus three Tylenols (500 mg). Only twice have I needed to go to something stronger. Even using my NTI devices has not helped. Plus, my jaw is popping really hard, which [obviously] indicates strong TMD involvement. I'll just continue doing everything I normally do in order to get the jaw to relax, which it eventually will.

My hematocrit last week rose to 31.1 (+1.5 from week previous),but my RBC rose only 0.18 to a still extremely low 3.34. So, despite the improved HCT and Hemoglobin, my energy level, though slightly improved, is still terrible. Hopefully todays' labs show more improvement on all fronts in this regard. Only now am I entering the 6-8 week period of when I should be seeing greater energy from the Aranesp shots. I am looking with hopefulness to seeing my energy increasing significantly. 

The kidney has been chugging along nicely. I am not only voiding all the fluid I intake every day, but I am also losing more prednisone weight. Last week, I saw my weight drop below 115 kg since before the last rejection episode. My current weight is 114.2 Kg!

200p--Well, I would normally be posting my labs by now, but my numbers are not being updated on the website as they usually are. In fact, I had to call the lab (no answer) and the infusion center (no answer), then my Transplant Coordinator to track down my hemoglobin result. My coordinator called me back with a 10.0 Hemoglobin, and news that even being at the low end of the required range was good enough, and no Aranesp shot would be needed today. So, I called the Infusion Center again (this time they answered), and cancelled my injection.  In the meantime, I am to watch the hemoglobin closely. If it falls below 10.0, I will need another booster of Aranesp. Otherwise, I won't see the Infusion Center until next Tuesday when I get my monthly Belatacept dosage.


**It is now Tuesday, 31 July, and I had to call my Transplant Coordinator to get the hospital lab to get my results from yesterday posted.

30 July 18 

*Tac:   3.6 (-0.2) Dropping

*Creat:   2.35 (-0.04) Dropping

*CA:   9.9 (NC) IR

*RBC:   3.40 (+0.06) Very Low

*WBC:   6.2 (+0.5) IR

*HCT:   31.8 (+0.7) Low

*Lymph:   11.8 (+2.9!) Low

*Lymph ABS:   0.7 (+0.2) Low

*Neut:   81.9 (+0.7) Extremely High

*Neut ABS:   5.1 (+0.4) IR

*GFR:   30 (+1) Extremely Low

*BUN:   38 (+2) Very High

*Gluc:   100

*Phos:   3.1 (-0.4) IR

*Hemo:   10.0 (+0.2) IR

*K+:   4.3 (-0.4) IR

NA+:   141 (+1) IR

Prot:   6.6 (-0.2) IR

*MG:   2.0 (+0.1) IR

*BK:   Not Checked

*CMV:   Not Checked

   *NC= No Change    IR= In Range

The Tac continues its decline, and with only one week before reducing the daily dosage in half one last time, we will see another large drop in two weeks.

The Creatinine has also dropped again. I'm hoping for a final number below 2.0. Time will tell on that. Once the Tac is eliminated, we should see further drops in the number.

The great news on my labs are the Hematocrit and the Lymphocytes. My HCT continues its climb towards normality (35-37 minimum), which is great news!  But the huge leap in my Lymphocytes is quite unexpected. A 2.90 jump is huge! That means that I can go without a mask now, in many situations. But, as previously discussed, I must remain cautious. 

Unfortunately, my Reb Blood Cells remain very low. So, despite the hemoglobin and hematocrit rises, my energy will still lag behind. On the positive side of this, everything surrounding my RBC production is doing much better; so, it should only be a matter of time before the RBC fall into line.

Everything else on my labs are moving in the right direction, more or less. The high Neutrophil count is a bit worrying, but unless the Kidney Clinic docs become concerned, I'll try to keep that lab in perspective.

So there you are...all the latest. 

With August upon us already, I am looking forward to moving towards better health, and great stability!  Exercise is coming soon!  :o)

Until next time...

Good Health to All!

ScottW
  

No comments:

Post a Comment