Thursday, January 4, 2018

Post-Transplant Update: 04 January 2018

I know that it has been more than a few days since my first entry about the hernia surgery, but with Christmas and New Years, plus my continued pain from the surgery, it really is understandable that I am just now getting to finish up with that surgery.
So, let's get that wrapped up...

Getting home from the hospital was no picnic. Having to sit in a car for 45 miles with intense abdominal pain is not exactly my idea of a good time. But, we do what we must. Getting up the stairs at home was a slow, painful and laborious process; but once I was at the top of those twenty stairs, I could lay down and just be still...aahhh!

For the first two weeks at home I was on pain meds pretty much 24/7. Between the new scars and the muscle cuts on both sides, any movement at all remained intensely painful, no matter what I did. I had to have help standing, sitting, laying, etc.
For the first month I was forbidden from bending more that 45 degrees, could not pick up anything over two pounds, could no climb or descend stairs alone, or sit up straight for more than a few hours.

Much like my back injury, you do not realize just how many muscles you use for moving your arms, turning your head, lifting your legs, etc. This surgery reminded me just how easy it is to trigger lots of pain...and a thing I did NOT miss from that back surgery in 2000.

That first month, my wife did all the cooking...frightening, to be sure!  :o) ...cleaning, getting whatever I needed, helping me to sit, get in bed, get to the restroom, get dressed, helping me to shower so I didn't fall etc. In addition, I still had to get my blood drawn twice each week for labs, and go to follow-up appointments and kidney clinic.

Two weeks after arriving home I saw the surgeon to have about half of the staples removed, then the other half two weeks later. While the scar has a lot of healing still to do, it is looking less inflamed, and is mostly closed at this point, with the exception of one small area on the lower abdomen that is about an inch long. I am currently putting antibiotic cream on that spot, and covering it with clean gauze twice each day. It is slowly improving.

By mid-December I found that I was a long way from being where I had hoped to be in my healing. I was still in a lot of pain both mid-line and on both sides. It is slowly getting better, but as of right now, I am about a month behind in my healing. I believe this is the case because the hernia repair was my second major surgery in six months and my body is just simply exhausted and unable to bounce back as quickly as I usually do. The doctors and techs I have discussed this with have all agreed that my recovery is just going to take longer that normal, and that I must be patient.

Ever since the surgery I have been sleeping in a semi-recumbent position because this is most comfortable. About a week ago I began sleeping on my side a few hours every few nights....it feels so good, too! However, I am still doing most of my sleeping and napping in that semi-recumbent position. 

My day to day activities have begun to increase a bit. I have started doing some cooking again, getting my laundry done, and even putting in a little work at my computer. I can now walk up and down stairs unassisted, but not unaccompanied. I can walk further now--about 50-150 yards at a time--but wear out quickly, and my pain ramps up quickly, as well. I am going on walks about five times each week (accompanied by my wife, of course), and feel a bit stronger each time I go. Again, improvement is drearily slow, but I am feeling stronger despite the pain.

Speaking of pain, I started voluntarily decreasing my pain meds around two plus weeks ago. Overall, my use of the meds has decreased about 55-60%. At this rate I expect to be off the meds by mid month, or so. It doesn't help my pain level when I have an ultrasound on my kidney and renal artery, like I did yesterday. It was a normal follow-up exam that every transplant patient must do around the six month post-transplant mark.
Unfortunately, the tech pushing on my new scar for twenty minutes made me feel like I just got out of the hospital again! I know the increase in pain is only temporary, but it really hurts!  :o(

Next week I have another follow-up with my Team Cardiologist. I will let you know how that goes.

Oh...I nearly forgot...

With the hernia near by bladder repaired, I am finally able to properly process fluids, and as a result, I have lost 13 Kg's of water weight that had accumulated since my rejection episode in September. The water weight quite literally dropped by 1.5 Kg's per day for a little over a week.
I left the hospital in November at just over 121 Kg's. Today, I weigh 108 Kg's! Not exactly a preferred weight-loss method, but I am sure glad that weight came off exactly as I expected!

And, I believe that I am now caught up. If you have any questions regarding anything about my surgery and recovery, please leave a comment for me, and I will address that as soon as I can.

Until next time, the...

Good Health to All!

ScottW


No comments:

Post a Comment