Saturday, June 3, 2017

Renal Transplant: Getting 'The Call'

Just like I had been told by numerous people, getting "the call" turns into a whirlwind.

My initial call came on Wednesday, 03 May at about 1130a. The Transplant Coordinator stated that I was #2 on the list for my blood type, but because the top recipient was not feeling well, I became the "Primary" [recipient].
My labs were being cross-matched as we spoke, and he--the coordinator--was highly confident that I would be receiving the kidney. He told me to stay by my phone.

After speaking with him, I immediately contacted my wife to tell her the news; which she was both excited and nervous about.

About two hours later I received yet another call from the Transplant Coordinator stating that I needed to get to Intermountain Medical Center (in Murray) for an Echocardiogram by three o'clock. Also, I asked when the kidney would be available, and was told 'tomorrow afternoon.' I was told to go to my regular Thursday dialysis after which I was to head up to the hospital and get checked in. After that call I called my wife and told her about the needed test, and the plan for the following day.

So, she rushed home, picked me up and on we went. We arrived at the Cardiac test area at just after 3pm, and I was immediately taken back for the test, which proceeded smoothly and was uneventful.

After this we headed back home to get ready for the next day.

Once home, we both went about readying our 'Go Bags', getting a good dinner then relaxing. However, at 0130a, the Transplant Coordinator called yet again and stated that I needed to be at IMC as soon as possible. Seeing that my wife was asleep, I told him that it would be at least 3am before we would arrive. I then received instructions for checking in via the Emergency Room, repeated them to the Coordinator, then hung up and woke up my wife very gently, telling her the new plan. She woke up instantly and we both began readying ourselves.

By 0215a we were on the road, arriving at the ER 40 minutes later. As instructed I went up to the ER reception desk, interrupted the nurses on duty (as instructed) stating that I was here for a renal transplant. The nurses immediately verified my info--while interrupting their conversation with a regular ER patient--and gave us instructions on where to go and who to check in with. I thanked then for their time and we headed to the patient tower elevators to begin the process of my transplant.

(Next up in this report...the unexpected pre-transplant odyssey.)

Good Health to All!

ScottW


No comments:

Post a Comment